several bugs - opening files, updating, mods not running correctly

For notifying us of what you believe are bugs or errors in EViews.
Please ensure your copy of EViews is up-to-date before posting.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

capuchin

several bugs - opening files, updating, mods not running correctly

Postby capuchin » Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:01 am

I am having several basic functionality issues with Eviews.

First, I have a specific program that Eviews is repeatedly not able to open, either when I navigate to the program in File Explorer or when I try to mouse-click Open via Eviews. My other programs, including those in the same folder, are able to be opened. This is a new problem, as I have previously been able to open and edit the program normally.

This specific program is set as an addin. I am editing it to incorporate new lines. These lines work correctly when I click to Run the program (note that to do so I opened the program in Notepad, then pasted into a new Eviews program because I cannot open the program through Eviews). However, they do NOT seem to be included when I run the program as an addin command (either from the pulldown or by typing its command), nor do they work when I type "RUN filepath\program.prg". I deleted the original program, both as an addin and directly in File Explorer, and re-saved/re-addin-ed the edited program, so this should not be an issue of my changes not being saved correctly. The involved lines attempt to use the model.control command; I also tried a "hack" version of this command (genr series_a=series_a+(series_target-series)), which had the same problem of seemingly not being included because the target/add factor did not get modified, so I do not think this is a specific issue with the command. This is a workhorse program that I use to solve and iterate a model dozens of times in a working session, so it is a major efficiency drag to have to access and run the program in such a roundabout way, and I need to be able to rely on changes to programs being incorporated.

My Eviews is 13, April 24th build, Enterprise. I attempted to update, but have been getting told to close all instances of Eviews even though all instances are already closed. I restarted my computer and am still receiving these messages. [Sorry, in my title I said "mods". My personal naming convention for most addins is to call them "mods", so I often slip into calling them that.]

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: several bugs - opening files, updating, mods not running correctly

Postby EViews Gareth » Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:01 am

Hello.

Sorry, having a little difficulty parsing all that's going on here.

If I understand correctly, there are a few separate issues.
  • A specific .prg file will not open in EViews, when using File->Open->Programs.. from within EViews. Does dragging the program file onto EViews work?
  • Individual lines of code in a .prg file are not being executed. Have you tried debugging the program to step through the program line by line, to see if those individual lines ever get reached?
  • You are unable to update to the latest version of EViews. Please try manually downloading the latest patch from our website, rather than using EViews' built in auto-update. https://eviews.com/download/ev13download.shtml
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

capuchin

Postby capuchin » Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:10 am

Well, today I am able to open the program through many methods and run normally, with the new lines being executed successfully. (Previously, the new lines were executing only when I clicked Run, but not when I used commands to run the program.) It had not been working for the past week, but I guess my issue has been solved!

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Postby EViews Gareth » Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:56 am

It might be an AV issue. Because .prg is used by other, potentially nefarious, applications, anti-virus can lock them down quite hard some times.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

Return to “Bug Reports”