Eviews 13 error with wfrefresh

For notifying us of what you believe are bugs or errors in EViews.
Please ensure your copy of EViews is up-to-date before posting.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

nizinamazowiecka

Eviews 13 error with wfrefresh

Postby nizinamazowiecka » Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:42 am

I've just upadated to Eviews 13 form 11. The following code worked without any issues in the previous version. However, in Eviews 13 the "wfrefresh" line reopens the original file three times. So, at the end I have four separate (but the same) workfiles opened.

Is it a bug? Is there any quick fix?

Code: Select all

wfopen "S:\GEB\Na potrzeby CA\Prognozy_CA\kwartalny pkb\Tracker\Tracker.wf1"

wfrefresh

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Re: Eviews 13 error with wfrefresh

Postby EViews Steve » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:01 am

I just tested this in 13 and it doesn't seem to happen for me. Can you send me the tracker.wf1 file? What kind of database link does it have?

Also, make sure you have the latest 13 patch installed before trying again. The current build date is: Nov 28, 2023.

nizinamazowiecka

Postby nizinamazowiecka » Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:07 am

I've checked - I have the latest Eviews build. Also, the same issue occurs for my colleague (in Eviews 13). The file is located on the network drive (S), maybe that is causing problems? However there are/were no problems in Eviews 11.

There is no database. I'm using wfrefresh to refresh links to excel files with time series. I would prefer not to publish the file here, I can send it to you directly. Can I have your e-mail?

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Steve » Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:44 am

I created a workfile with linked data to an Excel spreadsheet on a network drive, and ran a program that simply calls WFOPEN on it, and then WFREFRESH -- and the issue doesn't happen for me.

Please send your workfile directly to me at steve@eviews.com. If you can, please send me your program as well. If sending both, please zip them together first as our email server tends to reject attachments with a .PRG extension. Also, if your zip file is larger than 10MB, don't send it via email, but let me know your email address and I'll send you a cloud folder to upload the files to instead.

Steve

nizinamazowiecka

Postby nizinamazowiecka » Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:44 am

OK, I've just sent you the e-mail.

Thanks

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Steve » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:08 pm

Thanks for your files...

I was able to duplicate the error and figure out the issue. This will be fixed in the next 13 patch.

In the meantime, you can prevent the duplicate workfile window from being opened by asking EViews 13 to prevent duplicate workfiles from being opened. To do this, go to the Options menu/General Options/Environment/Window Behavior and checking the "Workfiles" checkbox under "Allow only one window".
allowonlyone.png
allowonlyone.png (25.17 KiB) Viewed 5978 times

Steve

nizinamazowiecka

Postby nizinamazowiecka » Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:04 am

Thanks! That solved the issue for now

nizinamazowiecka

Postby nizinamazowiecka » Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:59 am

It seems that the issue is more complicated than that. If we use a more extensive code (i.e. having more lines than just "wfrefresh"), the wfrefresh instruction forces the whole code/program to run again.

So this is not just a problem of reopening the workfile window a few times, but a code running in an artificial loop. If I'm not mistaken each "wfrefresh" instruction makes the whole program/code run three to four times. It's impossible to work run any code in Eviews 13 that contains the wfrefresh line...

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Steve » Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:44 pm

Yes, I was aware of the nature of this bug. I probably should've provided more details on what was happening before suggesting a workaround.

The new 13 patch has just been released, so please try your program again after updating.

nizinamazowiecka

Postby nizinamazowiecka » Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:01 am

The new patch seems to fix the issue.

Once again, many thanks for your help.

Return to “Bug Reports”