WFSELECT command

For notifying us of what you believe are bugs or errors in EViews.
Please ensure your copy of EViews is up-to-date before posting.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

mmiller2

WFSELECT command

Postby mmiller2 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:12 am

Please run the attached EViews program. I have tested it in the latest patched versions of EViews 11 and EViews 12 (both 64-bit) . Under certain conditions, it seems that the WFSELECT command does not properly parse the workfile name provided. Specifically, if you provide just the filename with the ".wf1" extension, the command will fail.

wftest.prg
(430 Bytes) Downloaded 143 times

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: WFSELECT command

Postby EViews Gareth » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:35 am

Not really a bug per se.

Due to Windows naming conventions, it would be perfectly possible for you to create a workfile with the file name work1.wf1.wf1, in which case you would use:

Code: Select all

wfselect work1.wf1

to select the workfile (without using the .wf1 extension).

In other words, wfselect always assumes you are simply providing the name of the workfile (without file extension), unless you are also providing a path.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

mmiller2

Postby mmiller2 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:44 am

Come on, Gareth. That seems like a pretty unsatisfactory answer to me. Why does it work when you supply the absolute path with .wf1 and not when you supply the filename (in the current data path) with .wf1. Using your logic, shouldn't it assume when you use the absolute path that the workfile is named c:\temp\work.wf1.wf1?

Also, do you reasonably believe that anyone would have a legitimate use case to name a workfile with the wf1 extension twice (e.g., work.wf1.wf1)?

Furthermore, do you expect me to believe that WFSELECT was intentionally implemented handle this case differently than WFCREATE, WFSAVE and WFOPEN? Try the following code sequence.

Code: Select all

wfcreate(wf=work1.wf1,page=a) a 1901 2100
wfsave work1.wf1
wfopen work1.wf1
wfselect work.wf1

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Postby EViews Gareth » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:52 am

WFCREATE/SAVE/OPEN were all written before Windows supported "." inside a file name. We couldn't change them for backwards compatibility.

WFSELECT was added later.

Also WFOPEN and WFSAVE support many file types, so we can't always assume it is a wf1. They work on files on disk. WFSELECT is only used on workfiles, in memory. They're subtlety different operations.

Unfortunately, these days, most users are unaware of what a file extension is. So yes, it is entirely possible (and I've seen similar) that someone would create a file called this.is.my.wf1, which would then have an additional .wf1 extension on the end.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

mmiller2

Postby mmiller2 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:46 am

Unfortunately, these days, most users are unaware of what a file extension is. So yes, it is entirely possible (and I've seen similar) that someone would create a file called this.is.my.wf1, which would then have an additional .wf1 extension on the end.

I think that this only bolsters my point since the user intended to name that file this.is.my.wf1 and EViews wasn't smart enough to realize and then robotically named it this.is.my.wf1.wf1 instead.

Couldn't you just add a bit of conditional processing to the beginning of the WFSELECT command processing that treats terminal ".wf1" tokens in the wfname differently? How about a single level of terminal ".wf1" tokens is treated the same as if none were present and multiple levels of terminal ".wf1" tokens are taken literally? That seems to be the way WFCREATE, WFSAVE, and WFOPEN work.

Return to “Bug Reports”