Eview to R Issue

For notifying us of what you believe are bugs or errors in EViews.
Please ensure your copy of EViews is up-to-date before posting.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

kcaron

Eview to R Issue

Postby kcaron » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:01 am

I just upgraded to the new Eviews and installed it on a new computer.
I also installed R and R-Studio on the new PC.
I also configured EViews to "see" my R installation under General Options> External Program Interface just as I had on my old PC.

However, now when I use XPUT to copy a series from EViews to R and then run print(my_series) I get a bunch of strange characters bracketing my data... See attached screenshot...

Capture.PNG
A screenshot of what I see...
Capture.PNG (58.69 KiB) Viewed 12893 times

I can't figure out what I've done wrong here. I thought I set everything up exactly as I had it on my old PC.

Can someone please help me?

I'm completely stuck.

Many, many thanks...

Kevin

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Re: Eview to R Issue

Postby EViews Steve » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:01 pm

That is strange. I'll need some more info to figure it out.

Which version of R did you install? 32-bit, 64-bit? version number? What is the path to the R directory that you specified in EViews?

Can you provide the barometer_total series in a small workfile by itself and verify that that causes the same issue when you XPUT it to R? If so, please send me that workfile (attach to your forum reply or email it to me at steve@eviews.com).

Thanks,

Steve

kcaron

Postby kcaron » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:35 pm

barometer_total.wf1
(17.55 KiB) Downloaded 177 times

1) I installed R-4.0.3 and when I run it in Eviews, Eviews says this in the RConn Output window:

EViews RConn x64 (C:\Program Files\R\R-4.0.3)
(C) 2016 IHS Markit Inc.
Version: 4.0.3

2) Here is the path to the R directory I specified in EViews 12

C:\Program Files\R\R-4.0.3

3) Attached is a WF of just "barometer_total" as you requested. Note that I opened the file and tried the procedure again and still get the jibberish in R I was getting before.

Thank you so much!!!

Kevin

startz
Non-normality and collinearity are NOT problems!

Postby startz » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:49 pm

In the file you posted barometer_total is all NA.

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Steve » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:23 am

I was able to recreate the issue.

I believe it is just a display issue between R and EViews. Something changed when R went to version 4 and so I'll have to accommodate it somehow in the display. But if you save the R workspace (e.g. xrun save.image("c:/files/mydata.rdata")) and then load it inside of the R console app directly, you'll see the data is all still there and intact.

Assuming this is an easy fix, you can look for the fix in our next EViews 11 & 12 patch. Or you can use R v3 instead for now.

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Steve » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:37 am

After looking into this more, I'm pretty sure this is a text bug with R version 4 and up. We use the R dll interface in order to "talk" to R and R sends us any console text it wants to print to our console, but that text is being filled with these garbage characters. I can't find any developer notes regarding these characters but I've been able to determine the pattern in how they appear. So I updated our R connector to look for and remove these garbage characters, but only for R version 4 and above so we don't slow down console output for other versions.

This will be released in the next EViews 11 & 12 patch.

Steve

Return to “Bug Reports”