Panes and tabs #3

For notifying us of what you believe are bugs or errors in EViews.
Please ensure your copy of EViews is up-to-date before posting.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

tvonbrasch

Panes and tabs #3

Postby tvonbrasch » Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:28 am

Not exactly a bug, but it would be really good if one could programmatically set where different object types (workfiles, command window, graphs/tables and program files) are located when the panes and tabs mode is activated.

Is this a funcionality that you can add to EV13?
t

tvonbrasch

Re: Panes and tabs #3

Postby tvonbrasch » Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:31 am

I noticed this forum post:

https://forums.eviews.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=21391

Is it so that the evsettings-file can be used to store panes and tabes settings, so that others can use that file as well?
Thomas

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Steve » Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:51 am

I wouldn't be against this, but at this point I'm not sure if there's an easy set of rules that we can use to do this. Let me know if you have an idea of how you would want this to work.

Here are some of the difficulties:

Docked panes can present themselves differently based on the order of docking. For example, since our command pane is usually presented first thing at the top of the EViews frame, when you open a workfile that is docked to the left, this window only starts below the above command pane. If done in reverse order, the workfile would take the entire left side and the command window would take less space, like in the following screenshot.
2022-10-11_09h40_46.png
2022-10-11_09h40_46.png (43.21 KiB) Viewed 3739 times

Also, panes can be infinitely grouped together in any number of tabbed containers, and each tabbed container can also be docked separately. For example, you can create a floating window like this with 2 workfiles and 2 programs:
2022-10-11_09h42_49.png
2022-10-11_09h42_49.png (36.81 KiB) Viewed 3739 times

And since you can only open one window at a time, I'm not sure how you would programmatically create the window above just the way you want it. Plus there's the fact that my example above shows the workfile panes using 2/3 of the space compared to the program panes.

I think a better solution would be to allow EViews to save and restore window layouts so that the entire set can be restored at once. But even that would be a challenge to code correctly.

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Steve » Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:52 am

tvonbrasch wrote:I noticed this forum post:

https://forums.eviews.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=21391

Is it so that the evsettings-file can be used to store panes and tabes settings, so that others can use that file as well?
Thomas

Yes, the .evsettings file is used to store the remembered window position. If shared along with the main file, then that user will see the window appear in the same spot.

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Postby EViews Gareth » Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:27 am

EViews Steve wrote:Yes, the .evsettings file is used to store the remembered window position. If shared along with the main file, then that user will see the window appear in the same spot.

And, also, if the position was stored in the .wf1/.wf2 file itself, when you shared a workfile with someone, they would receive your placement, which is probably rude.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

tvonbrasch

Postby tvonbrasch » Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:06 pm

Thanks for your extensive reply. I understand that it might be difficult to provide full flexibility regarding where to place the different panes.

Currently, EViews provides one default position only. Would it be possible that the EViews team made say 5 different main options for how the panes and tabs mode could be organized, so that the user could choose among them?

In the default setting, my view looks like this:
2022-10-12 07_43_34-Innstillinger.png
2022-10-12 07_43_34-Innstillinger.png (142.3 KiB) Viewed 3709 times

Since all our add-ins are made based on the spool object using the entire width of the window*, and since the command pane does not need to be as wide as in the default setting, I would prefer a layout like this:
2022-10-12 07_44_40-Innstillinger.png
2022-10-12 07_44_40-Innstillinger.png (144.98 KiB) Viewed 3709 times

Would it be possible to provide such a layout among the main options to choose from?

That would be highly appreciated!
Thomas

*it would also be great if we could fine tune the zoom level of the spool object so that it fits the default panes and tabs mode, see https://forums.eviews.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21365&p=69272&hilit=spool#p69272

tvonbrasch

Postby tvonbrasch » Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:11 am

The more I think of it, the better the idea seems to be, i.e. having say 5 main modes for panes and tabs to choose from.

4 reasons:
- It provides more flexibility for users
- The user can programmatically set which of the modes to use
- It overcomes the limitation with the "remember window placement" option, see https://forums.eviews.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21401
- Maybe you could even allow the user to snap between the different modes using e.g. the CTRL key and arrows: https://forums.eviews.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21372

2022-10-13 11_08_58-Snap your windows.png
2022-10-13 11_08_58-Snap your windows.png (101.78 KiB) Viewed 3668 times

uyanikcaner

Postby uyanikcaner » Tue Jun 11, 2024 4:39 am

EViews Gareth wrote:
EViews Steve wrote:Yes, the .evsettings file is used to store the remembered window position. If shared along with the main file, then that user will see the window appear in the same spot.

And, also, if the position was stored in the .wf1/.wf2 file itself, when you shared a workfile with someone, they would receive your placement, which is probably rude.

Would you mind letting me know how can I store the window placement in the .wf1/.wf2 files? As a sole user of my workfiles I don't need to share my workfiles with anyone else. Currently my window placement setting is "remember previous". However, although the setting is "remember previous" it doesn't remember it and Eviews places workfile windows to its default. I have also checked the .evsettings file whether they are stored in the directory or not, they take place in the folder correctly. Even if everything seems okay for window placement, it does not work properly. Eviews Steve or Eviews Gareth?

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Steve » Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:15 am

We don't support storing window placement info inside the workfiles. When I said my previous comment, I was giving a reason as to why we wouldn't want to do that.

Now as to why your window placement seem to always be at the default location:
  • Do you have multiple monitors? If so, try moving EViews to the other monitor and then re-save the workfile. See if placement is remembered now.
  • Are you saving the files in a network location? If so, try saving them to the local drive instead.
  • Are you using the latest version of EViews 13? If not, go to https://eviews.com/download to get the latest 13 patch. There were various fixes for window placement made when we initially released 13.
  • Open the evsettings file using notepad. Do the "pos" values look ok? (these are the windows top left coordinates along with width and height). Here's what mine look like:

Code: Select all

{
        "FileType_2": {
            "mdi": {
                "state": 1,
                "pos": [
                ],
                "max": [
                ],
                "min": [
                ]
            }
        }
    }
Steve

uyanikcaner

Postby uyanikcaner » Tue Jun 11, 2024 8:12 am

EViews Steve wrote:We don't support storing window placement info inside the workfiles. When I said my previous comment, I was giving a reason as to why we wouldn't want to do that.

Now as to why your window placement seem to always be at the default location:
  • Do you have multiple monitors? If so, try moving EViews to the other monitor and then re-save the workfile. See if placement is remembered now.
  • Are you saving the files in a network location? If so, try saving them to the local drive instead.
  • Are you using the latest version of EViews 13? If not, go to https://eviews.com/download to get the latest 13 patch. There were various fixes for window placement made when we initially released 13.
  • Open the evsettings file using notepad. Do the "pos" values look ok? (these are the windows top left coordinates along with width and height). Here's what mine look like:

Code: Select all

{
                ],
                ],
                ]
            }
        }
    }
Steve

I have tried all of your options. I am not saving the documents in a network location. I use the latest version of Eviews 13. I use two monitors and I have tried to save the workfile after I moved the Eviews to the other monitor but it did not work. Below are my .evsettings file content (first one is for workfile and the second one is for the program file;

{
],
],
]
}
}
}

.prg's .evsettings content;

{
"FileType_4": {
],
],
]
}
}
}

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Steve » Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:15 am

Not sure why it's not working for you then. I've tried both with Pane & Tab mode turned on and off and the window positions of a workfile is saved and restored properly in both cases.

If you want, you can email me at steve@eviews.com with your serial number, and we can do a Teams call so I can look at your desktop while you try it.

Steve

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Steve » Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:58 pm

Figured it out. It seems the .evsettings file is being ignored when:
1. Original file path has a space in it.
2. Pane & Tab mode is off.

This will be fixed in the next patch.

Return to “Bug Reports”