EViews 13 COM Automation: include statement

For notifying us of what you believe are bugs or errors in EViews.
Please ensure your copy of EViews is up-to-date before posting.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

mmiller2

EViews 13 COM Automation: include statement

Postby mmiller2 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:17 am

There appears to be an issue with the way the EViews 13 COM Automation interface is handling the include statement. I've attached a short sample program to demonstrate the issue. Please unzip the contents to C:\temp and run the eviewscom.exe program.

When the EViews 12 version of EViewsMgr.dll is registered, the program behaves as expected.

However, when the EViews 13 version of EViewsMgr.dll is registered, the program crashes at (or just after) the include statement. I believe that the root cause is that the program variable %afile is going out of scope across the include statement and generating an access violation. It's almost as if it's treating the include as an exec statement instead - for which the program variables would be expected to go out of scope.

Note that if you run the eviewsmgr.prg directly in the EViews 12 or 13 environment, it behaves as expected and creates a series x with the constant value of 1 in the workfile work.wf1.
Attachments
EViews13COM.zip
(26.53 KiB) Downloaded 58 times

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Re: EViews 13 COM Automation: include statement

Postby EViews Steve » Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:19 pm

Thanks for the bug report.

This was an issue that was caused by incorrect handling of an include when a program is called via EXEC. I don't think this would've happened if you had used the RUN command instead. This will be fixed in the next patch.

FYI, you should use the following relative path when you perform the include statement (line 4 below):
2022-09-27_13h21_35.png
2022-09-27_13h21_35.png (8.67 KiB) Viewed 1749 times

This way, the include will try to look for the program file in the same directory as the parent program. Without this, my attempts to run your program initially failed since my default directory was not c:\temp (but the files I was running were as you directed).

Steve

mmiller2

Postby mmiller2 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:10 am

Thanks Steve! Looking forward to the next patch. Do you have any idea when that will be released?

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Postby EViews Gareth » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:29 am

Within a day or two
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

Return to “Bug Reports”