Personalized command-explorer

For making suggestions and/or requests for new features you'd like added to EViews.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

MartinsFest

Personalized command-explorer

Postby MartinsFest » Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:56 am

Hello, Eviews-team.

This post is three-fold. First and second part are suggestions for something I would love to see implemented. Third is a bug I have encountered.

First:
I am new to Eviews and have been dabbling in the "Command Explorer". It is, however, not easy for a new user to navigate unless you already know which commands you are searching for.

Something that would improve it is if one could do partial search-words in the search-bar. If I wanted to round a series to the nearest integer I could type "round" instead of "@round". Or I could type "label" and find all commands related to labels. And a greater ask: it would be really great if I could search for words related to what I am looking for, and Eviews suggests relevant commands. Example: If I searched "HP-filter" or "filter", the "hpf"-command would be suggested.

PS: I sometimes use https://www.eviews.com/help/helpintro.html, and this search bar could be greatly improved as well. Example: I want to forecast a single series using an ARIMA-model, and want to know what command to use in my program. Searching "ARIMA" gives a lot of suggestions that are not relevant. It would be useful if I could opt the search results to only show me the results found in "Command Reference".

Second:
I am currently developing routines and addins for a program being used in our organization, but we lack an efficient way to inform our users on what functionality our program has. It would be really great if the "Command Explorer" could accommodate organizational environments - that a tab/dropdown could be customized such that it includes our own commands/subroutines. Then we could link a url/path to where the documentation is.

Third:
Eviews 13 crashes: This one is difficult to reproduce. I sometimes open Eviews only to browse the command explorer, so I have nothing else open, and this happens after a while of using the search bar and navigating drop-downs. It is when I return to the Eviews-window from my browser that the program will simply close.

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: Personalized command-explorer

Postby EViews Gareth » Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:10 am

To help with the first, you might prefer to use the PDF version of the help system.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

EViews Jason
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Jason » Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:36 am

In regards to #1, use the * symbol as a wildcard. The Explorer will otherwise do an explicit search. For example, using the * before and after il (ie. *il*) will return several results.

With that being said, *round does not return @round but @r* does. We will get that fixed.

For the 3rd, you said
using the search bar and navigating drop-downs. It is when I return to the Eviews-window ..
Is the search bar and drop downs you are referring to in the explorer or the browser?

MartinsFest

Postby MartinsFest » Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:13 am

Thank you for your responses. The tip about using * as a wildcard is useful!

For the third, I meant the search bar and the dropdowns in the command explorer in the Eviews program.

Return to “Suggestions and Requests”