Table procedures cannot interpret expressions provided as arguments in a programme

For making suggestions and/or requests for new features you'd like added to EViews.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

mamo

Table procedures cannot interpret expressions provided as arguments in a programme

Postby mamo » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:48 am

Dear Eviews team

I use Eviews 10 March 2018 build

it seems that expressions used as arguments in table procedures such as deleterow and deletecol are not interpreted as expected. The example

Code: Select all

tab.deleterow 5-!x

would not work as expected .

Table procedures seem to interpret only the first part of the expression (i.e., "5" in the example provided above) rather than taking the full expression (i.e. "5-!x" in the above example). See also example code provided below.

Obviously, defining a new variable containing the number of rows to be deleted, and using the variable in the procedure call, works.

However, this work-around is a bit cumbersome. Could this be changed in future updates of Eviews so that table procedures would interpret numerical expressions properly?

Best
mamo

Code: Select all

wfcreate u 1
table tab
for !r=1 to 20
   tab(!r,1)=!r
next
!x=3
' The following lines deletes 5 rows instead of 2
tab.deleterow(5) 5-!x
show tab
' This work-around works, but it is also cumbersome
!rowstodelete=5-!x
tab.deleterow(5) !rowstodelete
'Interestingly, expressions are correctly interpreted when they are used as references to rows or columns
tab.deleterow(!x+2) 1
' Why don't expressions work when used as arguments to table procedures?

Return to “Suggestions and Requests”