How to enter data into a panel workfile.

For requesting general information about EViews, sharing your own tips and tricks, and information on EViews training or guides.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

econ07

Re: How to enter data into a panel workfile.

Postby econ07 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:09 pm

Hello Gareth,

I have not used eviews for panel regressions before and need some help setting up a panel workfile.
I am trying to set up a workfile for 52 US states for six variables over 1979-2015 at a quarterly frequency.
I am fetching all the data from the Haver database using an Eviews programe as I want future updates to be made as quickly as possible.

I have seen that you have given some detailed examples on how to turn excel files into panel workfiles, but not if the data is imported directly from the database. Sorry if I missed sth. Can you help with this question please?

Many thanks in advance.

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Postby EViews Gareth » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:48 pm

You cannot fetch directly into a panel workfile. You'll have to fetch into a pool, then convert.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

econ07

Postby econ07 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:31 am

Thanks a lot for your relpy.
Does that mean I need to fetch as individual time series, convert into a pool and then convert into a panel workfile? Or is there a way to fetch directly into a pool and convert from there? If the the latter could you please share how to do it?

EViews Gareth

Postby EViews Gareth » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:41 am

I should have been more specific - you need to fetch the individual time series into a pool-like workfile, and then convert into a panel. You don't need to actually create a pool object.

econ07

Postby econ07 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:44 pm

Hi Gareth,

I am using Eviews 9 and I fetch the follwoing data among others.
This is gives me a pool like workfile as there are some common patterns here, for each series the first two letters refer to the state and the rest to the series.
I tried using a command you suggest in an earlier post, pagestack.

'pagestack(wf=STATE_HP) ?hpi ?hst ?rbtq ?yppq ?ra ?l14 ?fcm30 @ *? *

But with the ? at the start as that is where my cross section identifiers are located. My final results do not resemble a cross section however. Any idea what could be the problem?

fetch(d=usecon) fcm30

fetch(d=regional) ALHPI AKHPI AZHPI ARHPI CAHPI COHPI CTHPI DEHPI DCHPI FLHPI GAHPI HIHPI IDHPI ILHPI INHPI IAHPI KSHPI KYHPI LAHPI MEHPI MDHPI MAHPI MIHPI MNHPI MSHPI MOHPI MTHPI NEHPI NVHPI NHHPI NJHPI NMHPI NYHPI NCHPI NDHPI OHHPI OKHPI ORHPI PAHPI RIHPI SCHPI SDHPI TNHPI TXHPI UTHPI VTHPI VAHPI WAHPI WVHPI WIHPI WYHPI

fetch(d=regional) AKHST AZHST ARHST CAHST COHST CTHST DEHST DCHST FLHST GAHST HIHST IDHST ILHST INHST IAHST KSHST KYHST LAHST MEHST MDHST MAHST MIHST MNHST MSHST MOHST MTHST NEHST NVHST NHHST NJHST NMHST NYHST NCHST NDHST OHHST OKHST ORHST PAHST RIHST SCHST SDHST TNHST TXHST UTHST VTHST VAHST WAHST WVHST WIHST WYHST

fetch(d=uspop) ALRBTQ AKRBTQ AZRBTQ ARRBTQ CARBTQ CORBTQ CTRBTQ DERBTQ DCRBTQ FLRBTQ GARBTQ HIRBTQ IDRBTQ ILRBTQ INRBTQ IARBTQ KSRBTQ KYRBTQ LARBTQ MERBTQ MDRBTQ MARBTQ MIRBTQ MNRBTQ MSRBTQ MORBTQ MTRBTQ NERBTQ NVRBTQ NHRBTQ NJRBTQ NMRBTQ NYRBTQ NCRBTQ NDRBTQ OHRBTQ OKRBTQ ORRBTQ PARBTQ RIRBTQ SCRBTQ SDRBTQ TNRBTQ TXRBTQ UTRBTQ VTRBTQ VARBTQ WARBTQ WVRBTQ WIRBTQ WYRBTQ

rif

Postby rif » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:00 pm

Colleagues, could you please share commands to import unbalanced panel data from excel into eviews? Thank you.

rif

Postby rif » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:18 am

Colleagues, could you please share commands to import unbalanced panel data from excel into eviews? Thank you.

startz
Non-normality and collinearity are NOT problems!

Postby startz » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:44 am

What happens when you drag the Excel file onto EViews?

rif

Postby rif » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:39 am

I am trying to read a panel data from excel into eviews using the commands below (but unsuccessfully). Is there anything wrong with the commands? Thank you.

workfile X_M a 1945 2015

pool poolall _arg _arm _aus _aut _bel _bol _bra _bgr _bfa _khm _cmr _can _tcd _chl _chn _col _cod _cog _civ _cze _dnk _egy _est _eth _fin _fra _geo _deu _gha _grc _hti _hnd _hkg _hun _isl _ind _idn _irl _isr _ita _jpn _jor _kaz _ken _kor _lao _lva _ltu _mdg _mys _mla _mex _mda _mar _moz _mmr _npl _ndl _nzl _nic _nga _nor _pak _per _phl _pol _prt _rou _rus _sau _sen _sgp _svk _svn _zaf _esp _sdn _swe _che _tza _tha _tur _uga _ukr _gbr _usa _uzb _vnm _yem _zmb

poolall.read(e2, s=Combined) C:\Users\IX\My_Local_Documents\I\Research\X_M\Database\X_M.xls ner_ecos? neer_ecos? reer_l_ecos? rec_ecos? brer_ecos? rgdp_g_ecos? pgdp_g_ecos? usrgdp_g_ecos?

brinde

Postby brinde » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:52 am

Hi Gareth,

I'm trying to organise panel data according to the second type of format that you've laid out using the Eviews 10 University edition.
Unfortunately, I can only manage to get past the initial step of stacking my years, and can't seem to get past the second step of unstacking the variables.
I've spent a decent amount of time trying to figure it out online myself, but without any luck.
I've attached both my excel and workfile, and would greatly appreciate any help here.

Many thanks!
Attachments
Book1.xlsx
(154.35 KiB) Downloaded 494 times
book1.wf1
(1.7 MiB) Downloaded 484 times

EViews Gareth

Postby EViews Gareth » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:54 am

Looks like you have a few data errors. If you open up REGION, VAR01 and VARIABLE as a group, then click on View->N Way Tabulation, only check "Count", and uncheck the "Group into bins" options, you'll get a tabulation of all the combinations of values. There should be only one combination of each. But there isn't. For example, there are two observations for Nord-Est for variable sizeoffinance for each year.

brinde

Postby brinde » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:42 am

EViews Gareth wrote:Looks like you have a few data errors. If you open up REGION, VAR01 and VARIABLE as a group, then click on View->N Way Tabulation, only check "Count", and uncheck the "Group into bins" options, you'll get a tabulation of all the combinations of values. There should be only one combination of each. But there isn't. For example, there are two observations for Nord-Est for variable sizeoffinance for each year.

Thanks a lot Gareth, much appreciated!

drake

Postby drake » Thu May 14, 2020 12:44 am

I have a table with three raws and in the columns there a are the daily dates. When I use the stack the variable of the daily date became an abc variable not a series, even if I insert ?. I need to have in the three column and one more column with the date for my panel data regression, but if I use the second method this cannot work.

bimmbos

Postby bimmbos » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:42 am

Hello everyone. So I'll take a step back and take an interest in artificial intelligence. You might have heard of it, too. Who is the world leader in artificial intelligence? As for me, this is almost the main trend in the development of the world in 2021. But which countries and companies are leading on our planet in the creation of "thinking" and self-learning machines and computer programs? Is there a site where I can find detailed information? Guys, share your knowledge. Thank you.

shaliza

Postby shaliza » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:20 am

While importing excel file to eviews, it can not show as dated panel rather it is shown as unstructured. I have tried all the ways that is mentioned in this forum but can not happening anything. Rather it is showing 'series'. Please help me I have to submit some of the test of my thesis to the professor tomorrow to discuss but I am in a mess. Here I am attaching my file please help me.I am using E-views 11 student lite.
Attachments
Data file E-views .xls
(40.5 KiB) Downloaded 261 times

Return to “General Information and Tips and Tricks”