how to turn on "merge" with fetch command

For requesting general information about EViews, sharing your own tips and tricks, and information on EViews training or guides.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

capuchin

how to turn on "merge" with fetch command

Postby capuchin » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:04 am

When I type a fetch command into the command window, I get prompted with a dialogue about whether I want to overwrite or merge the data. But if I have a fetch command in a program, it seems that the default is to overwrite, and I cannot find any options for the fetch command that would let me set it to merge data rather than overwriting.

Is there a way to do this? Or is my only option to fetch the data into a blank page and then use copy, for which I can set a merge option, to move it into the page where I actually want it?

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: how to turn on "merge" with fetch command

Postby EViews Gareth » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:43 am

Undocumented "m" option on fetch.

Couple of other points
  • You can actually use the copy command to copy from certain databases direct to a workfile
  • If you do the fetch interactively, the command capture window will show you the command line form (including the m option).
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

capuchin

Postby capuchin » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:43 pm

That is easy! Thanks. I think this was my first time not just typing a fetch command.

capuchin

Postby capuchin » Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:22 am

Further on "merging", which is not behaving how I expect. How can I fetch data that exists in a database ranging from, say, 1980-2020, if I only want to update the data in my workfile ranging from 1980-2020 through 2015? (So workfile smpl = 2016 2020.) I really don't want to create a workpage ranging from 1980-2015 and then copy the data to my main workpage; I need to do this task frequently and on an ad hoc basis, so that copying is way too inconvenient.

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Postby EViews Gareth » Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:33 am

Could you be more explicit on what you're trying to do?

Which dates are you fetching from, and which dates are you fetching to? Where are there NAs?
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

Return to “General Information and Tips and Tricks”