Pasting linked data in Excel

For requesting general information about EViews, sharing your own tips and tricks, and information on EViews training or guides.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

Elderfield.A

Pasting linked data in Excel

Postby Elderfield.A » Sun May 17, 2020 10:20 pm

Hi,

Not sure if this is an Eviews thing or an Excel thing, but I don't have the option to paste data as a link in Excel - I have attached a screenshot. Has anyone come across this before? And is there a solution?

Funnily enough, I don't have this issue with powerpoint.

Thanks

Adam
Attachments
pastelink.PNG
pastelink.PNG (27.62 KiB) Viewed 16051 times

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Re: Pasting linked data in Excel

Postby EViews Steve » Mon May 18, 2020 8:16 am

What is your version of EViews? Are you using EViews 32-bit or 64-bit? What is the build date? You can get this information by going to the Help menu/About EViews dialog.

Also, what version of Excel are you using?

If the Paste as Link works for PowerPoint, but it doesn't for Excel, then it's most likely an Office installation issue. Here's a link to a troubleshooting page for Excel Paste as Link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office ... ot-working

Steve

Elderfield.A

Postby Elderfield.A » Mon May 18, 2020 9:40 pm

Hi Steve,

Sorry, I should have included all this detail. Using Eviews 10+, 64bit and was built Feb 26 2018. Excel is 2016 version. However, I actually think the problem was occurring as I didn't declare a named object, when I declare a group followed by a list of variables, I can than copy and paste as a linked object - bit of a trap for new players I guess.

However, now I do have the ability to paste as a link. The data copies over as #VALUE! - so not sure if you have any pointers on this error?

Thanks

Adam

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Steve » Wed May 20, 2020 1:15 pm

Yes, only named objects can be pasted as a link. Otherwise, how would a link be resolved later on? You did mention that this worked in PowerPoint so I didn't think you were using an untitled object.

By the way, the workfile needs to be saved as well as the linked objects specify the source workfile name.

Not sure why you're getting a #VALUE! error.

1. Make sure you are using the latest EViews 10 build. The most recent one available is build date Feb 5, 2020.
2. Run the REGCOMPONENTS command inside of EViews and verify that all the OLE related items in the list are marked as "Registered". You can also click the "Yes (All)" button to re-register everything. Once re-registered, restart both EViews and Excel and try the Paste As Link again.
2. Again, make sure the source workfile is saved before you try to do the Paste as Link. Are you getting all values this way or just a few?

If you keep getting this problem, upload an example workfile and the exact details on how you're doing the copy and paste as link and I'll try to recreate the issue.

Steve

Return to “General Information and Tips and Tricks”