auto sum feature

For requesting general information about EViews, sharing your own tips and tricks, and information on EViews training or guides.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

capuchin

auto sum feature

Postby capuchin » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:21 am

Currently, when I view a series or group and highlight some cells, Eviews displays an "auto" average in the left of the bottom bar.

It would be great if it could also show a sum and maybe even count too. Is there something in settings I can change? If not, please consider this a feature request.

capuchin

Re: auto sum feature

Postby capuchin » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:39 am

I know this sounded like a stupid question, but the "Live Statistics" for spreadsheets seem to often not work. I have tried turning them off and on and recreating my group of series, but they are still off. I wish I could get them to stay on reliably.

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Postby EViews Gareth » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:11 am

Could you provide a few more details about what you're describing?
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

capuchin

Postby capuchin » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:04 pm

Sure. In Excel, you can open a spreadsheet and type a few numbers randomly in a row of cells. Highlight these numbers, and in the bottom right corner on the status bar, Excel will report Average, Count, and Sum.

Eviews seems to be supposed to do this too. If you create a series and open it in Eviews, you can highlight cells and get these same "live statistics" (these can be customized under general options) reported in the bottom left corner of the series window when in spreadsheet view. However, it seems like this does not work when opening "groups"; no live stats are reported when viewing groups. It would be nice if they were.

Also, is there a way to directly open a group of series in graph view? For example, I often do:
>show series1 series2
>{%graph}.line (actually, what I do is use the mouse to change the view to a line graph)
I wish I could open a group in line graph view directly. It is extra clicks, and it takes a short but noticeable amount of time for Eviews to open the graph menu, I realize I could write "graph myline.line series1 series2", but that only creates the group, not opens it, and it gives me a graph object that I will eventually delete to avoid clutter.

Since I am suggesting things in this post, I also wish the "dated data table" view of groups was a little smarter about converting functions like @pca or @pcy from, say, quarterly to annual. I am having trouble figuring out how to quickly get a dated data table that converts %ch functions to annual correctly. I don't really see which data format option I am supposed to pick to make a @pca reported annually in the dated table be accurate.

The way I have set things up for some named groups I look at a lot is to have the table report a series two times and then set the second instance up to be transformed the way I want it to, i.e. use the data format menu to transform a price variable into one period % change and choose "average then transform" frequency conversion. This works, but it is unwieldy for quickly looking at things I haven't set up a regular group for, and it is a little counterintuitive to report a series twice and mess with the dated transformation compared to just having @pca(series) be a group member. What I'd like is for Eviews to convert the underlying series to annual and THEN calculate the @pch/@pcy/etc in a dated data table.

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Postby EViews Gareth » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:14 pm

capuchin wrote:Sure. In Excel, you can open a spreadsheet and type a few numbers randomly in a row of cells. Highlight these numbers, and in the bottom right corner on the status bar, Excel will report Average, Count, and Sum.

Eviews seems to be supposed to do this too. If you create a series and open it in Eviews, you can highlight cells and get these same "live statistics" (these can be customized under general options) reported in the bottom left corner of the series window when in spreadsheet view. However, it seems like this does not work when opening "groups"; no live stats are reported when viewing groups. It would be nice if they were.

If you have the global options set up to show some live stats for a group, then they will be shown by default for groups when you open them. Also note that the statistics will be over the entire group, unless you have a cell or set of cells selected.

capuchin wrote:Also, is there a way to directly open a group of series in graph view? For example, I often do:
>show series1 series2
>{%graph}.line (actually, what I do is use the mouse to change the view to a line graph)
I wish I could open a group in line graph view directly. It is extra clicks, and it takes a short but noticeable amount of time for Eviews to open the graph menu, I realize I could write "graph myline.line series1 series2", but that only creates the group, not opens it, and it gives me a graph object that I will eventually delete to avoid clutter.

Code: Select all

plot series1 series2

capuchin wrote:Since I am suggesting things in this post, I also wish the "dated data table" view of groups was a little smarter about converting functions like @pca or @pcy from, say, quarterly to annual. I am having trouble figuring out how to quickly get a dated data table that converts %ch functions to annual correctly. I don't really see which data format option I am supposed to pick to make a @pca reported annually in the dated table be accurate.

The way I have set things up for some named groups I look at a lot is to have the table report a series two times and then set the second instance up to be transformed the way I want it to, i.e. use the data format menu to transform a price variable into one period % change and choose "average then transform" frequency conversion. This works, but it is unwieldy for quickly looking at things I haven't set up a regular group for, and it is a little counterintuitive to report a series twice and mess with the dated transformation compared to just having @pca(series) be a group member. What I'd like is for Eviews to convert the underlying series to annual and THEN calculate the @pch/@pcy/etc in a dated data table.

Could you set up a template that had the PCA settings already done, then just apply the template?
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

capuchin

Postby capuchin » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:37 am

Thanks, I did not realize that group live stats and series live stats were different options.

That PLOT command would be perfect IF I was still allowed to drag the timeframe bar along the bottom like when I open as a group.

Return to “General Information and Tips and Tricks”