workflow tips and sorting WF objects

For requesting general information about EViews, sharing your own tips and tricks, and information on EViews training or guides.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

capuchin

workflow tips and sorting WF objects

Postby capuchin » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:24 am

I am trying to create a workflow in which I complete an automated task in a workfile, check that task, go on to do some other automated tasks, check those, and so on. For example, I might want to fetch a number of series, verify that they are as expected, seasonally adjust those series, verify that various identities hold, fetch a model and solve it. In my current, non-EV software, I am able to include a command that pauses a program and allows me to execute any other commands before I tell the program to return to its processing.

What am I looking for if I want a similar workflow in Eviews? I thought that what I wanted was to create various subroutines and CALL them in order, but I am erroring with "Flow of control statement executed from command line" with the following sub. This sub does not error if I call it from within the program that creates it, but I cannot enter "call costs" from the command line after running the program. What is causing the error, and how can I set up a workflow to manually call a series of programs or subs that depend heavily on loops? Is what I need to create various programs and RUN them in order?

Also, am I just not allowed to use loops at all outside of a program?

subroutine costs
pageselect q
string coststring="newaccap_nam newacchm_nam newacenr_nam newacfib_nam newacoth_nam newacovr_nam newactrn_nam newatc_nam newavc_nam"
for %X {coststring}
copy(link, c=average, propnas) q\{%x} a\{%x}
next
endsub

Finally, is there a way to sort my workfile by object type? I would like to be able to quickly glance at the strings, equations, groups, etc, I have in a workfile.

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: workflow tips and sorting WF objects

Postby EViews Gareth » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:14 pm

Subroutines, like for loops and if statements, cannot be used in the command line, they are programming environment features only.

You can switch the workfile to the details view and then sort based on any attribute, including type.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

EViews Gareth

Postby EViews Gareth » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:15 pm

For the general workflow question, it might be that creating your own add-ins is the best way to go, so you can just click or type a simple command to execute each step one at a time.

capuchin

Postby capuchin » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:44 pm

Hmm, that looks like it could work. My programs are all highly specific (and long). Am I correct that what the add-ins gives me is primarily the convenience of not having to type the program filepath?

EViews Gareth

Postby EViews Gareth » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:47 pm

Yes, although if the programs are somewhat generic, they also offer the ability to (more easily) pass on options and arguments.

Return to “General Information and Tips and Tricks”