xget pandas dataframe freezing

For questions regarding programming in the EViews programming language.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Jason, EViews Moderator, EViews Matt

amrsherif

xget pandas dataframe freezing

Postby amrsherif » Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:08 am

Hello,

Thanks again for all your help. I am running into an issue where EViews will freeze during the xget command for a python dataframe, only when the original dataframe is daily/weekly. I have no issues with monthly, quarterly and annual data. I have checked the data in python and everything seems fine to me. Sure there are more rows, but i imagine not by a factor that would cause a crash.

I've attached a snapshot of the error, which suggests that another program is causing the issue, but there is no way for me to find out. The only two programs that i am running are EViews and Python. To be clear, the dataframe is fine in python, the crash happens during the xget command.

I am not sure how you can replicate this issue, except for having a daily dataframe in python (say with 15,000 rows) and trying to import the data back into EViews.

Any idea as to what may be casuing this?
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (20.47 KiB) Viewed 1884 times

amrsherif

Re: xget pandas dataframe freezing

Postby amrsherif » Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:19 am

I will try a few other things first, and give an update

amrsherif

Postby amrsherif » Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:52 am

Problem solved

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Steve » Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:46 am

I'm glad you resolved it.

For future reference, a dialog that appears with the text "This action cannot be completed because the other program is busy" is not a crash. It's a warning (by Windows) saying that EViews is still waiting for the Python interface to respond to a command. If the Python interface is taking a long time, it's possible to just wait for it to finish and then this dialog will automatically disappear once a response is detected, and EViews will continue. Or, it's possible that the Python interface is displaying a modal dialog that is waiting for user input - in which case if you click on the "Switch To..." button, it will attempt to switch to the Python window so you can respond to any dialog and dismiss it. Once done, Python should continue and eventually EViews will get a response.

amrsherif

Postby amrsherif » Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:03 am

Thanks. Yes i figured that EViews was waiting for something. it was odd, and i have no idea why is was waiting, almost like communication broke down between them. When i clicked switch to, it took me to the windows search, rather than anything useful.

In any case, i solved it by not using pandas (using python lists instead).

Return to “Programming”