Devision by 0/difference between Eviews10 and 12

For questions regarding programming in the EViews programming language.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Jason, EViews Moderator, EViews Matt

Raidas

Devision by 0/difference between Eviews10 and 12

Postby Raidas » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:01 am

Hi,

I am encountering a error while trying to run a program on Eviews12 ("Division by zero - Missing data generated in <...>"). The interesting thing is that my colleague does not encounter the same error when he runs the same code on Eviews10. Nevertheless, when I checked the "Permissive error handling" box in the advance settings, the error stopped (as you would expect).

Is the "Permissive error handling" - even though one cannot see it in advance settings of Eviews10 - turned on by default in Eviews10? Or might there by any other reason for the different behaviour? Since we want to leave the old version behind and work with Eviews12 only, I want to make sure that there are no inconsistencies between the versions that I might not be aware of.

P.S. other settings (the minimum number of errors before program termination) are the same.

Thanks

EViews Matt
EViews Developer

Re: Devision by 0/difference between Eviews10 and 12

Postby EViews Matt » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:39 am

Hello,

The "Permissive error handling" global setting was introduced in EViews 11 to address discrepancies in error handling between the 32- and 64-bit editions of EViews. Depending on the edition used, a handful of specific errors either would or would not be reported, which was an undesirable inconsistency. This new setting lets the user choose which behavior they prefer, but it intentionally defaults to off so that users who were having errors hidden from them in earlier versions of EViews will experience exactly what you did. Once aware, enabling that setting restores the older "permissive" behavior, as you've seen.

Raidas

Re: Devision by 0/difference between Eviews10 and 12

Postby Raidas » Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:50 am

Thank you!

Return to “Programming”