Hausman test and dummy variables

For technical questions regarding estimation of single equations, systems, VARs, Factor analysis and State Space Models in EViews. General econometric questions and advice should go in the Econometric Discussions forum.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

odovakar

Hausman test and dummy variables

Postby odovakar » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:14 pm

I need help with two things that have been partly answered before on the board. First: I have an unbalanced panel and a fixed effects model in log-log form. How do I conduct an "ordinary" Hausman test in order to see if the chosen specification is correct? Is there some kind of command for it? In Stata this seems to be a piece of a cake, where a single command instantly provides you with P values and all, but I haven't been able to figure out how to do the same in Eviews 5.0.

Second, I have approximately the same problem as another guy who wrote here, i.e. I need to include a column of dummy variables (1 and 0) in the panel, but every time I do this I get the "Near singular matrix" error. Is there some way to get around this obstacle?

Thanks in advance!

EViews Glenn
EViews Developer

Re: Hausman test and dummy variables

Postby EViews Glenn » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:34 pm

For the first question. Just estimate the random effects equivalent, then use the Fixed/Random effects Hausman test view...

As to the second issue, the deep issue relates to what your dummy variables are meant to represent. There is clearly a singularity going on here that is directly related to the fixed effects. If there are variables that do not vary within cross-sections, then they are not identified in the fixed effects framework.

odovakar

Postby odovakar » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:51 am

Thanks. As for the Hausman effect again - just one, stupid question: How do you do that exactly? :oops:
Which settings do I need to use in Eviews for the random effects equivalent? In other words: Are there any specific ones that I need in order for the test to work?
After I have done this: Where do you choose the Hausman test view from?

EViews Glenn
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Glenn » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:45 am

In the cross-section effects (I'm assuming you have cross-section effects) setting of the estimation dialog, select Random instead of Fixed.

All of the random effects methods (which are on the options) page are valid for Hausman test comparisons.

Return to “Estimation”