Create smooth forecast that match level on annual frequency

For technical questions regarding estimation of single equations, systems, VARs, Factor analysis and State Space Models in EViews. General econometric questions and advice should go in the Econometric Discussions forum.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

tvonbrasch

Create smooth forecast that match level on annual frequency

Postby tvonbrasch » Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:41 am

Hi,

I have a dataseries with forecasts on annual frequency and a seasonally adjusted series on a monthly frequency. Then I would like to extend the seasonally adjusted series with a smoothed forecast on the monthly frequency, in such a way that the annual value for the forecasted smoothed series becomes equal to the annual value of the annual forecast series. How can one smooth a series in EViews, with such a restriction imposed?

To be more precise:

Code: Select all

wfcreate(page=a) a 2020 2030
   genr u_f= 4+nrnd

pagecreate(page=m) m 2020 2030
   copy a\u_f m\u_f

smpl 2020 2023:6
      genr u_sa=4+0.5*nrnd

How can I extend the series u_sa with a smooth line from 2023:7 to 2030:12 while ensuring that: @meansby(u_sa, @year) = @meansby(u_f, @year) ?

Thomas

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: Create smooth forecast that match level on annual frequency

Postby EViews Gareth » Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:03 pm

There isn't a technique built in (but if you find an econometric technique, let us know and we can add it in the future).

I guess you could always use your forecasting technique of choice and then just subtract/add the difference between the forecast and the annual average you want to hit.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

tvonbrasch

Re: Create smooth forecast that match level on annual frequency

Postby tvonbrasch » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:43 pm

Hello Gareth,

I've created a custom filter, which I've named "smoother," addressing the specific requirements I had. The rationale behind this filter is detailed below:

smoother.png
smoother.png (84.85 KiB) Viewed 3481 times

Please refer to the attached documentation for more information. Run the program example_1.prg to see how it can be used. You may also install it as an add-in using the smoother_install.prg file. It's important to note that the process is somewhat slow, taking a few seconds.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone from the EViews team could incorporate this into the built-in functionality or develop it as an add-in. Doing so would significantly enhance the speed of execution. Can you please add a filter of this type to EViews?

The smoother-filter utilizes the solveMCE add-in, as indicated in the forum: https://forums.eviews.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21565. This example also serves as a reminder of the solveMCE routine's utility in solving forward-looking models and identifying optimal solutions, where instrumental variables minimize a specified loss function. These functionalities are essential and should ideally be incorporated as built-in features.

Best regards, Thomas
Attachments
smoother.docx
(84.69 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
smoother.zip
(2.64 MiB) Downloaded 63 times

Return to “Estimation”