Nonlinear S curve estimation with panel data

For technical questions regarding estimation of single equations, systems, VARs, Factor analysis and State Space Models in EViews. General econometric questions and advice should go in the Econometric Discussions forum.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

AH2021

Nonlinear S curve estimation with panel data

Postby AH2021 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:22 am

Hi all,

I'm new to EViews, having used Stata for 10 years, so apologies if this is a beginners question.
I am struggling with estimating the following (S curve) equation:

Y = 1/ (C1+C2 * C3 ^X)

I have a panel of 57 countries with data over 1996 to 2019 and I want to pool the data to estimate the above equation.

I read the data into EViews as dated panel, with country as crossID and year as dateID. Now when I click on new object --> estimation and specify my equation, I get the "near singular matrix" error. I checked the correlation between my independent and dependent variables and it is "just" 30%. I'm thinking that I might make a beginners mistake when estimating. Could anyone advise me? Do I need to create a pool object first? Or is it because I have some missing values?

Many thanks
Attachments
data.xlsx
(79.91 KiB) Downloaded 114 times

startz
Non-normality and collinearity are NOT problems!

Re: Nonlinear S curve estimation with panel data

Postby startz » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:10 am

AH2021 wrote:Hi all,

I'm new to EViews, having used Stata for 10 years, so apologies if this is a beginners question.
I am struggling with estimating the following (S curve) equation:

Y = 1/ (C1+C2 * C3 ^X)

Nothing to do with EViews, C2 and C3 aren't separately identified. All you can get is the product.

AH2021

Re: Nonlinear S curve estimation with panel data

Postby AH2021 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:24 am

I see, thanks startz

Return to “Estimation”