Size Limit on Systems Object?

For technical questions regarding estimation of single equations, systems, VARs, Factor analysis and State Space Models in EViews. General econometric questions and advice should go in the Econometric Discussions forum.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

stoddj

Size Limit on Systems Object?

Postby stoddj » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:09 pm

I am trying to refine a VEC model by estimating it as a System. Even though the VECM estimates almost instantly, I consistently get a size limitation warning when I try to estimate a System version of the same system, with the message that "751 is not a valid index for vector-series-coefficient C." So in effect, the number of coefficients can be increased up to C(750).

By creating versions of my VECM with fewer coefficients than 750 I see that this problem does not occur. I don't see this limitation referenced anywhere in the documentation. Does anyone know a way of working around it? My Eviews version is EViews 12, Enterprise edition, Build of 10.18.21.

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: Size Limit on Systems Object?

Postby EViews Gareth » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:55 pm

Don't use C as your coefficient vector - create your own (of size larger than number of coefficients you need), and use that instead.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

stoddj

Re: Size Limit on Systems Object?

Postby stoddj » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:15 pm

Thanks, very much, Gareth. That did the trick.

For others in a similar spot, I had to rewrite the System representation with a new stand-in for C, which I very creatively termed CC. I then used the command coef(n) = CC, where n was the length of my new vector. It all worked out well.

Return to “Estimation”