How to obtain the matrix connecting reduced-form and structural residuals in a VAR

For technical questions regarding estimation of single equations, systems, VARs, Factor analysis and State Space Models in EViews. General econometric questions and advice should go in the Econometric Discussions forum.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

p2021

How to obtain the matrix connecting reduced-form and structural residuals in a VAR

Postby p2021 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:21 am

Suppose I estimate a VAR and then impose a Cholesky ordering assumption to conduct some structural analysis (IRFs, historical decompositions).

Eviews allows one to access both the reduced-form residuals (e) and the structural residuals (u).

But how can one access the corresponding matrix, as implied by the chosen Cholesky ordering, that connects the two, i.e. M such that e=Mu?

Peter

EViews Matt
EViews Developer

Re: How to obtain the matrix connecting reduced-form and structural residuals in a VAR

Postby EViews Matt » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:03 am

Hello,

After you perform either type of structural analysis, you can use the VAR object's @impfact data member to retrieve the underlying factorization matrix.

p2021

Re: How to obtain the matrix connecting reduced-form and structural residuals in a VAR

Postby p2021 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:40 am

Got it, thank you. I also realized it's referred to as the S matrix in the structural-VAR part of the Eviews documentation, and thus that one can also get to it via performing Structural Factorization upon estimating a reduced-form VAR and then imposing identification restrictions that boil down to the Cholesky ordering.

EViews Matt
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Matt » Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:20 pm

Quite right. Either of the first two SVAR restriction presets will produce an S matrix equivalent to a Cholesky decomposition.

Return to “Estimation”