Can eviews perform backcast in ARDL/ECM models?

For technical questions regarding estimation of single equations, systems, VARs, Factor analysis and State Space Models in EViews. General econometric questions and advice should go in the Econometric Discussions forum.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

stpan

Can eviews perform backcast in ARDL/ECM models?

Postby stpan » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:18 am

I have estimated an ARDL model for the period 2015-2020. However, I would like to backcast the period 2010-2015 for which no data of the dependent variable is available. I have though all the values of all the other variables.

Is it possible with eviews? Is there a trick or loop that I can use?

Note 1: I type in the forecast sample the respective period (2010-2015). But I received an error message stating “Unable to compute due to missing data”. In my view, the missing data are exactly the ones that I would like to forecast, i.e. the dependent variable.

Note 2: I tried to use a previous forum contribution on reversing the time series but it did not work esp. as it was not clear whether I could use the same model (co-efficients), applied though in reverse order (e.g. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7350&p=25848&hilit=backcasting#p25848)

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: Can eviews perform backcast in ARDL/ECM models?

Postby EViews Gareth » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:38 am

An ARDL model specifies that today’s values are dependent on the past. You will need an initial value to start the forecast.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

stpan

Re: Can eviews perform backcast in ARDL/ECM models?

Postby stpan » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:31 am

Many thanks, I will try it. Will it be legitimate to use the long-run relationship of the ARDL model to estimate the initial value(s)? Are there any other alternatives if actual data are not available?

Return to “Estimation”