GMM: constant as a part of the instrument list

For technical questions regarding estimation of single equations, systems, VARs, Factor analysis and State Space Models in EViews. General econometric questions and advice should go in the Econometric Discussions forum.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

tvonbrasch

GMM: constant as a part of the instrument list

Postby tvonbrasch » Sun May 16, 2021 6:30 am

Hi,

when using the GMM estimator, one may specify that a constant is not to be included in the set of instruments using the option: nocinst, see:
http://www.eviews.com/help/helpintro.html#page/content/equationcmd-gmm.html

However, in a panel workfile, the constant is automatically added when estimating using panel GMM.

Why is that? is there a way to not include a constant term? Or does it not matter?

When trying in a time-series setting, where I can drop the constant term using the option: nocinst, the instrument rank is the number of non-constant variables, i.e. not taking into account the constant term. The instrument rank do not change when I include the constant term. In a panel setting, however, where the constant term is automatically added, the instrument rank is the number of variables plus 1 (i.e. the constant term). is there a reason for this?
t

Return to “Estimation”