Outcomes from Eviews commands in a program

For technical questions regarding estimation of single equations, systems, VARs, Factor analysis and State Space Models in EViews. General econometric questions and advice should go in the Econometric Discussions forum.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

remuct

Outcomes from Eviews commands in a program

Postby remuct » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:24 pm

Hello,

I'm performing a system estimation of several equations using the SUR method with common structural breaks. In order to combine a system model with structural breaks I wrote a program file following methods by Baltagi et al (2015) and Bai and Perron (1998).

To get the standard deviation of the residuals of each equation k, I used the scalar value from System Data Members : @se(k).

However this value is not the same as the S.E. of regression provided at the bottom of Eviews output for the k'th equation after the estimation.

Furthermore, when I ask the covariance matrix of the residuals using @residcov(k,k), the square root of the k'th diagonal element is yet a different value than the two preceding ones.

Shouldn't these three functions give the same number ? If not what are their differences?

Thank you for your response
Best

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: Outcomes from Eviews commands in a program

Postby EViews Gareth » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:24 pm

The reported kth equation SE should match the system.@se(k) value (and does in a quick test).

The residual covariance matrix will differ because of a degree of freedom correction.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

remuct

Re: Outcomes from Eviews commands in a program

Postby remuct » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:45 pm

Thank you Gareth, this was useful.

Return to “Estimation”