Scaling impulse responses and changing confidence intervals

For technical questions regarding estimation of single equations, systems, VARs, Factor analysis and State Space Models in EViews. General econometric questions and advice should go in the Econometric Discussions forum.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

heer0

Scaling impulse responses and changing confidence intervals

Postby heer0 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:15 pm

Hi guys,

I am using EViews 10 (Univ. ed.) and I estimated impulse response functions from standarized data in different VAR and FAVAR models, which all include three different (non-standardized) monetary policy variables.

I next want to manipulate the impulse responses in two different ways:

1) Scaling shocks (e.g., to the central bank's interest rate) such that they represent a one-period 25 bps increase

Am I right in assuming that in order to scale the response to policy variable y_i, I would need to multiply the response values and the associated confidence intervals by a factor equal to 0.25/stdv(y_i)?

2) Changing the coverage of the confidence intervals

Using the command

Code: Select all

var_name.impulse
, I derived impulse response functions along with the relevant standard errors. Am I correct in assuming that I would just need to multiply the retrieved standard errors by a factor equal to 1.96 in order to retrieve the upper (and by implication lower) bands of a 95% confidence interval?

Your help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Return to “Estimation”