Plot confidence bounds for conditional CAPM conditional beta fit

For technical questions regarding estimation of single equations, systems, VARs, Factor analysis and State Space Models in EViews. General econometric questions and advice should go in the Econometric Discussions forum.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

sebas

Plot confidence bounds for conditional CAPM conditional beta fit

Postby sebas » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:20 pm

Hey,

first a big thanks to everyone in this forum! i really appreciate the help provided here. My question is both methodical and statistical.

I have the following issue. I try to break it down for simplicity.

I estimate a conditional capm: Rp = alpha + beta1 Rm + beta2 Rm*DIV(-1) + beta3 Rm*STR(-1) + beta4 Rm*TERM(-1)
Where Rp, Rm are return time series and DIV(-1), STR(-1) and TERM(-1) are lagged information time series

The estimated coefficients allow to calculate a conditional beta for the estimation period:
series cbeta = beta1 + beta2*DIV(-1) + beta3*STR(-1) + beta4*TERM(-1)

Now I want to plot the 95% confidence bounds of the cbeta as well. Is there an easy way to do so? Im wondering if maybe a fit function would help?

My workaround was the following
series cbeta_lower_conf = (beta1-1.96*stdv(beta1)) + (beta2-1.96*stdv(beta2))*DIV(-1) + ....
series cbeta_upper_conf = (beta1+1.96*stdv(beta1)) + (beta2+1.96*stdv(beta2))*DIV(-1) + ....

The results are not that plausible. Could be caused by the model or by my ignorance.

I attached a graphic of a study by Otten/Bams (2004), I want to replicate.

Is my workaround correct? Or is there any other way to get the confidence bounds?

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance!
Sebas
Attachments
Unbenannt.JPG
Unbenannt.JPG (16.82 KiB) Viewed 3756 times

startz
Non-normality and collinearity are NOT problems!

Re: Plot confidence bounds for conditional CAPM conditional beta fit

Postby startz » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:28 pm

Unfortunately, standard errors don't add.

You need to compute the variance of the sum, taking account of the covariance terms, and then take the square root.

sebas

Postby sebas » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:19 am

Thank you so much! That totally makes sense. It felt so wrong to simply add the stdvs =)

Sima77

Postby Sima77 » Fri May 13, 2022 2:23 pm

Hi Sebas,
Please can you let me know how did you write the equation of conditional CAPM in eviews? I am confused with this part (beta2 Rm*DIV(-1) ), did you put the multiplication sign to condition market premium to the dividend vector ?

Return to “Estimation”