Error when estimating State Space

For technical questions regarding estimation of single equations, systems, VARs, Factor analysis and State Space Models in EViews. General econometric questions and advice should go in the Econometric Discussions forum.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

birtab01

Error when estimating State Space

Postby birtab01 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:36 am

I am trying to estimate a state space model with 3 unobserved variables.
The first equation states the equation: Break even rate = inflation expectations + inflation risk premium - liquidity premium.
I have proxy variables for the unobserved variables: cpi_vol for inflation risk premium, survey5 for inflation expectations and volatility for liquidity premium.

Here is my output in state space in the object Sspace

param C(8) 0.758 C(9) -1.622 C(10) 2

@Signal brk5 = (C(10))*inflation_expectations + inflation_riskp - liquitity_proxy+ [ENAME = E7, VAR = (C(1))^2]
@Signal cpi_vol = inflation_riskp + [ENAME = E2, VAR = (C(3))^2]
@Signal volatility = liquitity_proxy + [ENAME = E5, VAR = (C(2))^2]

@State inflation_expectations = inflation_expectations(-1) + [ENAME = E3, VAR = (C(5))/(C1))]
@State inflation_riskp = (C(8))*inflation_riskp(-1) +[ENAME = E4, VAR =(C(3))/(C(1))]
@State liquitity_proxy = (C(9))*liquitity_proxy(-1) + [ENAME = E6, VAR =(C(2))/(C(1))]
Restriction is imposed on the variance as suggested by the reaserch above

Here are the equations for signal variables
〖brk5〗_t=π_(t,t+n)^e+ ρ_t^π- ρ_t^SÁ
〖survey5〗_t=π_t^e+ ε_t
〖std5〗_t=ρ_t^π+ ξ_t
〖volatility〗_t=ρ_t^SÁ + ϑ_t

Here are the equations for the state variables
π_t^e=π_(t-1)^e+ ω_t
ρ_t^π=ρ_(t-1)^π+ u_t
ρ_t^SÁ =ρ_(t-1)^SÁ + ψ_t

I have starting values obtained from OLS for inflation risk premium and liquidity premium.
I am trying to replicate the research https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 6911000123 on extracting inflation expectations from bond data but I have a proxy on inflation expectations.

I have also tried posing a restriction on the standard deviation like the research above does but then I get the message "near singular matrix"
When I try and run this model i get the message "unmatched parenthesis"
I have tried different starting values and changing the model but I end up with "Failure to improve likelihood"
I attached my data.
Attachments
Megin-gogn.xls
(34.5 KiB) Downloaded 67 times

EViews Glenn
EViews Developer

Re: Error when estimating State Space

Postby EViews Glenn » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:18 am

Code: Select all

@State inflation_expectations = inflation_expectations(-1) + [ENAME = E3, VAR = (C(5))/(C1))]

has an incorrectly specified C(1) coefficient.

I also get failure to improve with non-zero gradients using the default optimizer. What I was able to do was to use the EViews legacy estimator, which seems to do a better job at not getting stuck for this particular problem. Then I used those values as starting values for the other optimizers as a stability check. But even so, I think that this particular problem is difficult to estimate and I would suggest you use caution.

Return to “Estimation”