wfopen an csv file exported from ArcMap - Problem with POLYGON variables

For questions regarding the import, export and manipulation of data in EViews, including graphing and basic statistics.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Jason, EViews Steve, EViews Moderator

kche260532

wfopen an csv file exported from ArcMap - Problem with POLYGON variables

Postby kche260532 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:26 pm

Hi Eviews team,

I hope this post finds you all having a happy Christmas. Recently I started to work on some GIS shp files. After exporting some csv file from ArcMap, I always got a problem of import those csv files into Eviews for further analysis. The problem is associated with the POLYGON variables, where Eviews cannot recognise the delimiter and mess up with other variables. No matter how I try to set different delimiters by opening the file / using prg, it still fails. The file is too large to attach here and therefore I provide the downloadable link for accessing the file. Really appreciate it if anyone could help! Many many thanks.

[link removed as file size too large]

Cheers,
William
Last edited by kche260532 on Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: wfopen an csv file exported from ArcMap - Problem with POLYGON variables

Postby EViews Gareth » Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:34 pm

Could you provide a smaller file with the same issue?
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

kche260532

Postby kche260532 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:59 pm

EViews Gareth wrote:Could you provide a smaller file with the same issue?

Thanks Gareth for your prompt response. Sure, here you go; it just extracted the first 1000 rows for your perusal. You can see the mess up variable after the 'POLYGON' variables.
Attachments
poi_testing.csv
(869.67 KiB) Downloaded 103 times

EViews Gareth

Postby EViews Gareth » Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:27 pm

I see. The length of that Polygon variable is just too long. You can alleviate the issue a little by increasing your alpha truncation (Options->General Options->Series and Alphas->Alpha Truncation) to max (around 8000), but you'll still hit some issues.

kche260532

Postby kche260532 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:19 pm

EViews Gareth wrote:I see. The length of that Polygon variable is just too long. You can alleviate the issue a little by increasing your alpha truncation (Options->General Options->Series and Alphas->Alpha Truncation) to max (around 8000), but you'll still hit some issues.

Hi Gareth, Thanks for your advice.

I got a dilemma here. I have tried to increase the alpha truncation, and it works well for some of the files. But when it comes to some files, Eviews always stopped running. (See the screenshot). I have then tried to reduce the alpha truncation from 8000 to 7000 (then reducing all the way to 500); more files can pass thru, given I set a lower truncation value. However, in any case, as long as I go more than 200, the programme stops running at some points. From my trial, I think it needs at least 5000-6000 to ensure most of the variables couldn't mess up.

Can I try to import the csv without those polygon variables? Will it avoid the problem?

Grateful for your advice on how I can solve this dilemma, as I really want to use Eviews to continue my analysis. Many thanks in advance.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (14.02 KiB) Viewed 3689 times

EViews Gareth

Postby EViews Gareth » Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:40 pm

Yes, you could drop that variable if you don't need it.

Code: Select all

wfopen poi_testing.csv @drop polygon_wkt

Return to “Data Manipulation”