How is RData saved

For questions regarding the import, export and manipulation of data in EViews, including graphing and basic statistics.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Jason, EViews Steve, EViews Moderator

startz
Non-normality and collinearity are NOT problems!

How is RData saved

Postby startz » Wed May 18, 2022 1:49 pm

Sometime (in the last year I think), there has been a change in how .RData is saved. Series used to be saved as time series. Now they are saved as numbers with the dates put in as row names. While I think this was a good change, it would be nice to have the option of saving in the older format as well.

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Re: How is RData saved

Postby EViews Steve » Tue May 31, 2022 7:27 am

If your frequency is supported by R time series (annual, monthly, quarterly, daily, & undated), you can ask EViews to default all of your series objects to use that instead (during a save). My guess is that this option was changed to data.frame recently on your machine?

save_series_as.png
save_series_as.png (17.41 KiB) Viewed 4668 times

If your workfile is not a supported R time series frequency, EViews will default back to data.frame.

startz

Postby startz » Tue May 31, 2022 7:58 am

Makes sense, but it would be nice to also have the option on the Save dialog.

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Steve » Tue May 31, 2022 9:39 am

I disagree.

Allowing you to save a workfile to RData workspace format is basically short-hand for calling XOPEN, XPUT, XRUN, & XCLOSE yourself. I would imagine most R users would be using just a single type (either data.frame or ts) and wouldn't switch between those two often. If they did, they can call XOPEN, XPUT, XRUN, & XCLOSE themselves and use the rtype option in XPUT.

Also, our Save dialog is the generic Windows Save dialog that we've slightly modified in order to support cloud drives and updating the default directory. These modifications are extremely restricted by the dialog and really wouldn't allow us to dynamically hide/show new controls based on selected save as type. Adding the R type option here would most likely require a entirely new custom Save dialog that inevitably would exhibit different behaviors (such as keyboard behavior & left tree view) as the generic Windows one - which is undesirable.

startz

Postby startz » Tue May 31, 2022 10:23 am

I believe that 100% of EViews/R users who have posted here on the topic occasionally need to save in both ways. :)

With other formats with multiple options (e.g. Excel) you have more than one choice in the drop-down. Wouldn't be hard to have two RData choices there.

Return to “Data Manipulation”