Problems using FETCH to get series from external databases

For questions regarding the import, export and manipulation of data in EViews, including graphing and basic statistics.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Jason, EViews Steve, EViews Moderator

flog

Problems using FETCH to get series from external databases

Postby flog » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:14 am

I use FETCH command to access series from external databases. This usually works fine. In practice, I first check if the series exists, using the BROWSE function. When the series appears in the database I can access its source name, which I can then use to FETCH it.

An example of such a FETCH command working fine would be:
fetch(d=ecb) RPP__ADJUSTMENT=N.FREQ=A.REF_AREA=BE.RPP_DWELLING=TD.RPP_GEO_COV=00.RPP_SOURCE=4.RPP_SUFFIX=00

Yet sometimes it does not work. An example of such a FETCH command not working would be (though the series exists, as I could browse it):
fetch(d=ecb) GFS__ACCOUNTING_ENTRY=L.ADJUSTMENT=N.CONSOLIDATION=C.COUNTERPART_AREA=W0.COUNTERPART_SECTOR=S1.CURRENCY_DENOM=_T.CUST_BREAKDOWN=_T.EXPENDITURE=_Z.FREQ=A.INSTR_ASSET=GD.MATURITY=L.PRICES=V.REF_AREA=AT.REF_SECTOR=S13.STO=LE.TRANSFORMATION=N.UNIT_MEASURE=XDC.VALUATION=F

I suspect the problem occurs when the source name of the series is too long. Somehow the FETCH command cannot handle such longer source names. Is that so?

This would be unfortunate as fetching rather than browsing is very convenient to flexibly automate the accessing of series via programing.

EViews Katerina

Re: Problems using FETCH to get series from external databases

Postby EViews Katerina » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:08 pm

Next patch of EViews will have a fix for the issue with ECB fetch command.

Return to “Data Manipulation”