Crash when opening a very big Eviews file - Troubleshooting

For questions regarding the import, export and manipulation of data in EViews, including graphing and basic statistics.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Jason, EViews Steve, EViews Moderator

centroid

Crash when opening a very big Eviews file - Troubleshooting

Postby centroid » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:02 am

I have a big Eviews file (330 MB; wf1). It downloads data from ODBC sources. It consists of various pages which were interlinked through automatically updated series. Eviews 12 on Windows 10 is installed.

I had various file backups, in order to restore the data if something goes wrong. The problem started yesterday. There was suddenly a long time delay for every change or query I did to my workfile, even if only a small chunk of data was affected. At some point yesterday I was not even able to open the file at all.

I thought that I can go back two days and restore a previous workfile from the day before yesterday, but this was not possible any more, either. Even in this case Eviews crashed when trying to open the backup. The same happened when I changed to a different computer with another install of Eviews 12.

It does not seem to be a memory problem (16 GB). Other files I tried can all be opened.

I would lose a lot of work already done if I cannot restore this file any more. I would have to redo a lot of stuff.

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: Crash when opening a very big Eviews file - Troubleshooting

Postby EViews Gareth » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:38 am

Probably best to contact support directly at support@eviews.com, including your serial number.

Gareth.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Re: Crash when opening a very big Eviews file - Troubleshooting

Postby EViews Steve » Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:39 pm

Sounds like something else might be slowing EViews down. My guess is it's something to do with Windows Defender or some other anti-virus software. I would disable those while you troubleshoot this issue.

Also, look at this post for ideas on what else to try:
Troubleshooting EViews Slowness

Steve

Return to “Data Manipulation”