Issue when exporting table as CSV - some cells exported as formulas

For questions regarding the import, export and manipulation of data in EViews, including graphing and basic statistics.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Jason, EViews Steve, EViews Moderator

kamil

Issue when exporting table as CSV - some cells exported as formulas

Postby kamil » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:01 am

Hi all,

I am encountering issue when exporting table into csv file via save command. Specifically, some of the cells get exported as formulas, even though they are identical to other cells, where I do not encoutner this behavior.

Workfile with example table in attached, as well as what I get when I open the csv.

Thanks!
Kamil
Attachments
issue.PNG
issue.PNG (17.66 KiB) Viewed 3191 times
example.WF1
(148.41 KiB) Downloaded 158 times

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Re: Issue when exporting table as CSV - some cells exported as formulas

Postby EViews Steve » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:09 am

I used your example.wf1 workfile and generated a CSV. I was able to confirm your issue, however, when I took a closer look at the CSV file itself, those cells are not different/incorrect at all. Excel seems to be treating those cells as formulas for some reason and I haven't been able to figure out why, but it seems to be clearly an Excel/CSV issue.

I did find this page online that describes how to open CSV files safely with Excel. Following that, here's what I did to get your data into Excel without the formulas (I'm using Excel for Office 365)

1. Open Excel and open a new blank spreadsheet.
2. Click on the Data ribbon, and select "Get Data"/"From File"/"From Text/CSV" (or simply click the "From Text/CSV" ribbon button), then select your CSV file.
3. On the Load/Transform preview dialog, click the "Load" button.

2021-01-19_08h03_35.gif
2021-01-19_08h03_35.gif (388.39 KiB) Viewed 3174 times

At this point your data should be loaded correctly into Excel.

Steve

kamil

Re: Issue when exporting table as CSV - some cells exported as formulas

Postby kamil » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:01 am

Thanks Steve for investigation, very much appreciated. I had a nagging feeling that this might be an excel thing, not Eviews thing, but could not figure out how come the "=" appeared... Sorry for the bother!

Return to “Data Manipulation”