After Opening "FRED Database" EViews keeps on "matching" time series for hours now...

For questions regarding the import, export and manipulation of data in EViews, including graphing and basic statistics.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Jason, EViews Steve, EViews Moderator

Rene Macon

After Opening "FRED Database" EViews keeps on "matching" time series for hours now...

Postby Rene Macon » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:23 am

I have installed the " Student Version Lite of EViews 11". After using the Eviews interface to the "FRED Database" and hitting the rider "All" this interface keeps on "matching" time series for hours now...

I only need one specific time series, so I wonder whether I really have to wait until this interface has finished "matching"?

Thanks for any information on this topic!

EViews Jason
EViews Developer

Re: After Opening "FRED Database" EViews keeps on "matching" time series for hours now...

Postby EViews Jason » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:54 am

If you know the mnemonic, you don't have to go through the interface. After opening the FRED database, you can simply type into the EViews command window

Code: Select all

fetch mymnemonic

If you do not know the mnemonic and wish to search for specific mnemonic, rather than use the 'All' button, you can alternatively use the EasyQuery button and then search by name.

When using the 'All' button, EViews will first fetch all the mnemonics from the FRED database which when FRED was originally added to EViews, was fairly small and fast. Since that time it has grown significantly and now requires a long time(hours in your case) due the large number of available series.

I would suggest using the 'EasyQuery' button. The 'EasyQuery' will have the FRED servers perform the search via their API and therefore not require the entire mnemonic download.

Rene Macon

Re: After Opening "FRED Database" EViews keeps on "matching" time series for hours now...

Postby Rene Macon » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:32 pm

Great! Thanks a lot!

Return to “Data Manipulation”