The best way forward: Upgrade Eviews 6 to 7

For questions regarding EViews License Manager.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Jason, EViews Steve, EViews Moderator

thommic

The best way forward: Upgrade Eviews 6 to 7

Postby thommic » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:08 am

Dear all,
we want to upgrade our current license server form version 6 to version 7. The OS is running on a VM-ware. Will the new license server be able to run under VM?

Should we uninstall Eviews license server 6 before we install version 7? I guess yes...

After we installed license server 7 what will happen to the eviews 6 users? Can they use the version 7 licenses or do we need to do a backup of the eviews 6 licenses before? Is it possibe to back them up or do we need to rerequest the eviews 6 licenses as we need to do for version 7?

Thanks for you help!

Michael

EViews Jason
EViews Developer

Re: The best way forward: Upgrade Eviews 6 to 7

Postby EViews Jason » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:30 am

Yes the EViews 7 license manager may be installed on a VM. I should note there is a change for EViews 7 licenses. EViews 7 license(s) will need to be renewed every 30 days with our servers here. Unlike previous versions, our registration server now only grants a 30 day EViews 7 license. It is within that time the license server will need to contact our server for a new 30 day license. If your server has an internet connection, the license server will automatically attempt to renews it's license periodically without any human interaction. If your server does not have an internet connection, your license(s) will need to be renewed manually every 30 days. See http://forums.eviews.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1931 for more information on the change.

The EViews 7 license manager installer will detect the EV6 license manager and automatically replace it.

The EViews 7 license manager is capable of hosting both 6 and 7 licenses simultaneously. Users can therefore use either version of EViews installed on their machine. There is therefore no need to backup the licenses.

I am unclear by your statement to 'rerequest the EViews 6 licenses' and if the above does not answer all of your questions, please clarify.

smcdormo

Postby smcdormo » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:46 am

I am new to the lab where Eviews 6 is installed.
I just received the new Eviews 7 cd's on my desk today.

Currently we have 5 concurrent, 10 lab licenses and do not run a license server for Eviews 6.

The pack I received included 5 concurrent, 5 lab licenses, and a license server cd for Eviews 7.

Is the license server required, as this will increase our vm management and backups?
What is the best way to upgrade 5 of our 10 lab computers to Eviews 7?

In another post i was reading it seemed that all 10 lab computers could be upgraded to Eviews 7 with the license server controlling the 5 lab licenses allowing only 5 of the 10 lab computers to be used at once. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance
Scott

EViews Jason
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Jason » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:08 am

You stated "Currently we have 5 concurrent, 10 lab licenses and do not run a license server for Eviews 6." This is not possible. All concurrent use license require the license manager. I would advise you to send an email to support@eviews.com with your customer information including serial numbers. From there we can give you more specific information on how to change your current configuration to meet EViews 7 requirements.

To answer your other questions:
Is the license server required, as this will increase our vm management and backups?
YES
What is the best way to upgrade 5 of our 10 lab computers to Eviews 7?
EViews 6 and 7 are for the most part independent. So just installing EViews 7 on the machines you wish to upgrade should suffice.

In another post i was reading it seemed that all 10 lab computers could be upgraded to Eviews 7 with the license server controlling the 5 lab licenses allowing only 5 of the 10 lab computers to be used at once. Is this correct?
You could make all your computers identical (meaning EView 6 and 7 are both installed on all 10 machines) and then configure your license manager to only grant EViews 7 licenses to 5 specific machines. But the most straight fwd thing to do in my opinion, is to only install EViews 7 on the other 5 machines that are permitted to run EViews 7.

smcdormo

Postby smcdormo » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:27 am

After talking with the old lab manager he only knows of Eviews 6 checking with your servers over the internet.
He does not know of any license server running locally.

We only have 5 students that will be using this software in the lab so I would like to only have Eviews 7 installed on the 10 computers with 5 licenses on the server.

This would let them sit in any seat.

Cant the license server handle distrubiting the license as needed?

EViews Jason
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Jason » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:56 am

If you start EViews and select Help->About EViews, listed is your serial number. If the serial number begins with 60J.., 60k.., or 60Z (DO NOT POST your full serial number here on the forums, but you may post the first 3 letters), you are using a license manager. If not, you are using a seat license and no license manager. Assuming a license manager is being used, select Help->EViews registration. The displayed dialog will indicate where your license manager has been installed.

Let me know what you find and we can go from there.

smcdormo

Postby smcdormo » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:08 am

Is there any ini file that might have the ip of the license server i could lookup?

Our current license starts with 60L and the new one starts 70L
eviews6_about.png
eviews6_about.png (60.28 KiB) Viewed 50284 times

eviews6_reg.png
eviews6_reg.png (23.4 KiB) Viewed 50285 times

Thanks for all the help getting this resolved

EViews Jason
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Jason » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:50 am

You are correct 70L and 60L do not use a license manager. To install on 10 computers and only allow 5 instances to run simultaneously however, you need a concurrent use license. You mentioned you do have a concurrent use license, but we are getting a little too specific for a public forum. Email support@eviews.com your serial number and mention you were in correspondence w/ me on the forum and we can talk more.

smcdormo

Postby smcdormo » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:55 am

Just realized I had miss read the packing slip:
Eviews License - 5 lab ......Qty 2 :oops:

smcdormo

Postby smcdormo » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:01 am

so is the license manager only needed for my 5 Concurrent licenses of Eviews 6 & 7?

EViews Jason
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Jason » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:50 am

Yes

Return to “License Manager”