"Refreshing" EViews server licenses in License Manager...

For questions regarding EViews License Manager.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Jason, EViews Steve, EViews Moderator

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

"Refreshing" EViews server licenses in License Manager...

Postby EViews Steve » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:58 am

Many of our users have been reporting confusion over the new requirement for EViews server licenses to "Refresh" themselves every 30 days. I'll try to clear up the issue and answer as many different questions here:

What is this “Refresh By” date?
The new EViews server licenses (beginning with EViews 7) are different from version 6 licenses in that they are required to “refresh” by contacting us regularly in order to remain active. Each server license is given a 30 day “window” every time it successfully contacts our registration server. The license must be “refreshed” again within that 30 day window or it will expire.

My license doesn't expire until X/X/XXXX. Do I still need to "Refresh" every 30 days?
Yes. The new license requires that in order to remain active, it must contact us every 30 days. When you get close to your expiration date, the 30 day window that is given will be reduced to match the actual expiration date.

Why was the license system changed?
The refreshing of licenses allows more flexibility in reconfiguring of a customer’s licenses as the customer’s needs change. The changes also make the licensing system more appropriate for use on virtual server machines.

Can I install License Manager on a virtual machine?
The new License Manager can be freely installed on any virtual machine. The old requirement for contacting us for a VM key no longer applies. However, our Licensing Requirements still dictate that each license pack can only be hosted by a single instance of License Manager at any time. If you have multiple license packs, each can be legally hosted on a different License Manager (running on different VMs if need be).

Does my server running License Manager need Internet Access?
In order to automate the process of “refreshing” licenses, the new License Manager will attempt to contact us daily over the internet (at a random time between midnight and noon). This automated process requires that internet access be available to the server hosting License Manager, and that the License Manager service has permission to make a standard http request over the internet.

What happens if my internet connection fails?
A license only needs to be refreshed once every 30 days, so a temporary internet service disruption should not cause any problems. The license server will automatically refresh the license at a later time. If the internet connection is permanently lost, the EViews client software will eventually issue warnings as the license nears its ‘refresh by’ date. At this point the internet connection of the license manager will need to be restored or the license can be manually refreshed from any machine that has a working internet connection.

Our internet access is provided via a Proxy Server. Does License Manager support this?
Yes, the License Manager is proxy compatible. Please use the Management Console to set the name of the proxy server so that the License Manager can successfully get to the internet.

Our server will not have Internet Access. Is there a way to manually refresh our license?
If internet access is not available, each server license must be manually refreshed by using the License Management Console. This only requires internet access for the machine running the Management Console. To refresh a license, right-click the license and select “Update License”. You can also go to our server registration website at http://www.eviews.com/registerServer to fill out the fields manually and then copy the registration key back into the Management Console's Update License dialog.

Does the License Manager provide any reminders to refresh the license?
If your license gets close to its “Refresh By” date, we will send out an alert email to the main contact specified on the serial number, as well as any email address specified when the license was last updated/added to remind you that the license needs to be refreshed. Our EViews client will also display a warning upon startup if the license will need to be refreshed in 7 days or less.

My license has already gone past it’s “Refresh By” date. Can I still refresh?
Yes, the license can always be “refreshed” provided that the license is otherwise valid.

What information is submitted to IHS EViews when a license server automatically refreshes a license over the internet?
The license server sends exactly the same information as when a license pack is first installed (the serial number, name and machine id of the host machine). No other information is submitted to us.

How do I manually "Refresh" my License?'
There are multiple ways to manually refresh a license. I'll go over them in detail here:

1. License Management Console -- Make sure you run the Management Console on a machine that DOES have internet access. If needed, you can install the Management Console from the install CD onto a different machine on your network. Once installed, run the Console and connect to your License Server.

In the Management Console, double-click the Licenses icon and right-click the serial number you'd like to refresh and click on "Update License".

In Update License dialog, make sure the "Automatic" radio button is selected, then click "Update now". Once you see a success message, you can double-check the "Refresh By" column on the serial number and verify that it has now been reset.

If this step fails, you may have to specify a proxy server and proxy port to allow the Console access to the internet. The proxy dialog will come up automatically if the Console encounters any network problems.

2. Registration Web Page -- You can also manually "refresh" your license by re-registering your serial number on our web page. Go to http://www.eviews.com/registerServer and select one of the available registration pages (both are the same). On the next form page, copy values from the Console Update License dialog and paste them into the web form (name, serial number, machine id, and email address). Click the "Submit the form" button and wait for a new Registration Key to be generated.

Copy the new Registration Key and go back to the Update License dialog (running in the Management Console). Select the "Manual" radio button option, then paste the new Registration Key into the six small text boxes (you can just put the cursor in the first text box and paste to copy the entire key into all six text fields).

Click on "Update now" to complete the registration.

startz
Non-normality and collinearity are NOT problems!

Re: "Refreshing" EViews 7 licenses...

Postby startz » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:03 am

Does this apply to licenses on individual machines? In other words, should this be of concern to users with individually licensed copies?

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Re: "Refreshing" EViews 7 licenses...

Postby EViews Steve » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:06 am

No, this only applies to those users using the EViews License Manager. Hence posting this only to the "License Manager" forum :)...

Steve

ole

Re: "Refreshing" EViews 7 licenses in License Manager...

Postby ole » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:52 am

We have an authenticated proxy server. How can I set this? I need to set user name and password as well.

Thanks!

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Steve » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:12 pm

Actually, we have a newer version of License Manager that supports proxy authentication -- but it's currently in testing at the moment. If you're interested, send me your email address and I'll send you the test code.

Steve
steve@eviews.com

wamokowigo

Postby wamokowigo » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:09 pm

Actually, we have a newer version of License Manager that supports proxy authentication -- but it's currently in testing at the moment. If you're interested, send me your email address and I'll send you the test code.

Well Steve, have you finished your testing process?

We need the new Lic Manager that support proxy authentication.

Where can I download it?

Thanks for info anyway.

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Steve » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:23 am

Send me an email to steve@eviews.com with your EViews serial number and I'll send you a link to the download.

Steve

frank2

Postby frank2 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:00 am

My license server continuously gives me the following error and does not issue any licenses until I manually update het license.
Does anyone know what is missing?

Log Name: Application
Source: EViews License Server
Date: 13-8-2013 0:28:09
Event ID: 2014
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: <server>
Description:
The EViews License Server service could not refresh the license file 'license1.txt' in directory 'C:\Program Files (x86)\EViews License Manager\License Files' due to the following:

<license> is currently in backup status for this machine and cannot be updated automatically.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="EViews License Server" />
<EventID Qualifiers="32768">2014</EventID>
<Level>3</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-08-12T22:28:09.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>33730</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>server</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>EViews License Server</Data>
<Data>license1.txt</Data>
<Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\EViews License Manager\License Files</Data>
<Data>'0<license>' is currently in backup status for this machine and cannot be updated automatically.</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

EViews Jason
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Jason » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:19 am

It looks as though you are using a backup license. Have you modified the machine hosting the license manager or moved the license manager to another machine?

Email support@eviews.com with your serial number and we can unregister your old machine.

Return to “License Manager”