VS Code Language Extension for EViews

For posts that don't quite fit into any of the other forums, including posts about these forums themselves.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

madm

VS Code Language Extension for EViews

Postby madm » Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:53 am

Hi,

In my personal time, I've been working on a VS Code language extension for EViews that when complete will support syntax highlighting, intellisense, and some basic command line interaction with EViews that I would be happy to open source. Would EViews have any interest in being the publisher of such an extension on the Microsoft VS Code marketplace? Microsofts TOS seems to be for-profit vendor friendly although I can see why there might be reservations.

Also, one of the things that would be helpful in my development efforts would be direct access to the html reference materials rather than me trying to scrape them. Any chance of that?

Thanks!

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Re: VS Code Language Extension for EViews

Postby EViews Steve » Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:56 am

Thanks for reaching out.

We'd be happy to help you on your VS Code language extension for EViews. I don't think we're ready to publish and support it under our own name, but if you want to publish it as an open-source project, we'd be happy to help. You can contact me directly at steve@eviews.com if you have specific technical questions.

Now about the direct HTML references, I've compiled a simple text file that contains all of our objects, object methods & procs, commands, and functions along with the associated URL to the online help page. You can find this file here. This list may also be useful in your attempts to highlight EViews-specific words in your language extension.

Since the URLs can change periodically (caused by the software we use to create them), you should dynamically refer to this text file instead of statically loading it into your project. I'll keep this file updated whenever we add new methods or we change our help page names.

Steve

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Steve » Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:05 am

Forgot to mention, to use the URL values, just prepend them with:

Code: Select all

https://help.eviews.com/#page/content/

As a side note, if you want to open a web page that searches for a particular term in our help system, use this url:

Code: Select all

https://help.eviews.com/#search/{searchterm}

where {searchterm} is the text you're looking for. If your search term includes symbols like '@', make sure you use the URL encoded value of that symbol (e.g. @aic would be %40aic).

madm

Postby madm » Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:37 am

Thank you! I'll follow by email.

Return to “Any Other Business”