Setting up pyeviews in Databricks environment

For posts that don't quite fit into any of the other forums, including posts about these forums themselves.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

eviews_user12345

Setting up pyeviews in Databricks environment

Postby eviews_user12345 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:58 pm

Hello.

First want to say what an incredible resource this forum is for users new to Eviews and we appreciate all the work that is put into replying to all the posts.

My company has recently begun using Databricks in the Azure environment. I was able to run and use pyeviews locally and it worked perfectly for my needs. However, when I try to import pyeviews in Databricks, I am getting a COM-related error. I am unsure of how to solve this and was hoping that somebody would have some insight :)

I am able to install the library using pip. When I run "import pyeviews as evp", I get the following error:
ImportError: cannot import name 'COMError' from '_ctypes' (/usr/lib/python3.8/lib-dynload/_ctypes.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so)

Some online searching leads me to believe this is linked to the script only being made for Windows. I am unsure of how to approach solving this.

Thank you in advance

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Re: Setting up pyeviews in Databricks environment

Postby EViews Steve » Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:36 pm

pyeviews only works on Windows machines as it relies on COM automation to talk to EViews, which itself is a mostly a Windows only program. Our Mac version of EViews (Student Version and University Edition) don't support COM automation, so pyeviews can't talk to it.

eviews_user12345

Re: Setting up pyeviews in Databricks environment

Postby eviews_user12345 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:35 am

Thanks Steve. Much appreciated.

Return to “Any Other Business”