Integrating Eviews into Python environment

For questions regarding installation and registration of EViews.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Jason, EViews Steve, EViews Moderator

EconometriX

Integrating Eviews into Python environment

Postby EconometriX » Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:08 am

Does EViews provide a library or API which can be called from a Python environment?
E.g. I consider to integrate Eviews into a Databricks environment, use Python and want to automise processes including references to EViews functions and methods.

startz
Non-normality and collinearity are NOT problems!

Re: Integrating Eviews into Python environment

Postby startz » Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:03 am

EconometriX

Postby EconometriX » Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:23 am

We are using a Linux machine for our Python development environment (actually this is a cloud service called Databricks that runs on Linux).
From the documentation I see that this is all Windows specific (not the python environment, but the Eviews installation and COM interface).
As far as I can see there is no mention of a supported installation of eviews on linux.
So we need to connect to Eviews that needs to either run on the same Linux machine (thus requires a Linux installation support) or some kind of remote web connection interface so that we can connect to an instance of Eviews that is running on another machine (maybe hosted by Eviews and offered as a service).
Are there any ideas how to facilitate this?

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Steve » Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:43 am

No easy solution comes to mind...

If you wish to use EViews in your workflow, you'll need a Windows machine to host both EViews and your python engine so that they can 'talk' to each other. Potentially they can be on different machines (using Distributed COM, or DCOM), but they both have to be running Windows as COM/DCOM is a Windows technology.

Steve

Return to “Installation and Registration”