Accidentally deny permissions to foreign data

For questions regarding installation and registration of EViews.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Jason, EViews Steve, EViews Moderator

James25

Accidentally deny permissions to foreign data

Postby James25 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:31 pm

Hello, I have EViews 11 University Edition and while going to file then selecting open, then selecting foreign data as workfile I accidentally clicked no on the prompt that automatically connects it to my Mac’s files and now I can’t get prompt back to allow it to access my excel files so I can use them through EViews.

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: Accidentally deny permissions to foreign data

Postby EViews Gareth » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:48 pm

I think you might be a little confused.

When you open an Excel file in EViews, the last question that pops up is if you want to link the specific EViews file you are creating to a specific Excel file, so that if data in that Excel file changes, the EViews file will change too.

It has nothing to do with allowing EViews access to Excel file in general.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

James25

Postby James25 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:04 pm

When I was opening the second tab after clicking open, it asked something about allowing it do something and I didn’t mean to click the no and I can’t quite remember exactly what it asked me, but now it won’t load any documents, like every folder I try to access is blank, or says file doesn’t exist, it won’t allow me to access Dropbox, one drive, or anything. I just want to know how to get back to the prompt where I have to choose yes or no to allow, because uninstalling and reinstalling did not get the prompt back so I’m not sure quite what the issue is but as of now I can’t access anything.

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Postby EViews Gareth » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:29 pm

Again, that prompt has nothing to do with the issue you are facing.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

James25

Postby James25 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:30 pm

Okay, then how to do I fix the problem?

EViews Jason
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Jason » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:08 am

Press the Apple symbol in the top left corner of screen and then select System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Privacy.

Next click on the “Files and Folders” option to view the apps that have requested access. You can also grant access to your whole disk by clicking “Full Disk Access.”

To make changes to list of apps, first, click on the lock icon in the bottom-left corner of the window, then input your admin password (or use Touch ID if you have a fingerprint reader). You can then check the box next to EViews to grant access. If you do not see EViews, click on the plus button, add it , and then check the box

Next try starting EViews. Are you able to locate your files?

If not, repeat the same process again but instead of selecting “Files and Folders”, select “Full Disk Access”.

James25

Postby James25 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:36 am

It works now thank you Jason, greatly appreciate it!

Return to “Installation and Registration”