Force automatic Eviews update if available

For questions regarding installation and registration of EViews.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Jason, EViews Steve, EViews Moderator

jfgeli

Force automatic Eviews update if available

Postby jfgeli » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:41 am

Hi there,

Is there a way to force an automatic Eviews update at a regular interval (i.e. every week) if available? If it is not, this possibility would be a nice addition to future versions.

Best,

Fede

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: Force automatic Eviews update if available

Postby EViews Gareth » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:42 am

What do you mean by force?

Check the web to see if updates are available, and if they are refuse to open unless the user updates?
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

jfgeli

Postby jfgeli » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:56 am

In our organization, we have developed common routines that are shared among different colleagues. We have more than 10 local licenses and we have to be constantly checking in every computer if we are using the same version. I know we could choose never to update Eviews but we want to profit from the fact that you are regularly improving it. Hence, if there would be a way of making sure my colleagues and I have the latest version without them checking by some automatic procedure, this would be highly appreciated.

EViews Gareth

Postby EViews Gareth » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:21 am

Since updating EViews requires admin rights, there is no way to automatically do it (Windows, rightfully, prevents an application from doing stuff like that).

You could use the @builddate function in your common routines to check whether a user is as up to date as you want them to be, and then error if they aren't.

startz
Non-normality and collinearity are NOT problems!

Postby startz » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:32 am

If you don't have admin rights, what happens if EViews is set to Options/EViews Auto-Update from web/Check for updates automatically?

If the update fails due to no admin rights, the user would still be signaled that an update is available, no?

EViews Gareth

Postby EViews Gareth » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:35 am

Check for update automatically only checks. The user is notified an update is available whether they have admin rights or not. It is only when they try to install the update that the admin rights issue would kick in.

startz

Postby startz » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:39 am

So EViews can be set to check for the latest version for the OP without intervention, but if they want to install the updates it will require manual intervention (as it should with no administrator rights.)

jfgeli

Postby jfgeli » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:59 am

We all have admin rights. I was hoping there was a command I could run as a programmed task every Monday that would check if there is a new version and install it if necessary unattended.

startz

Postby startz » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:02 am

jfgeli wrote:We all have admin rights. I was hoping there was a command I could run as a programmed task every Monday that would check if there is a new version and install it if necessary unattended.

The built-in update facility almost does that. It automatically checks for an update on launch and then asks if you want to do the update. If the answer is yes, then just a couple of clicks are required.

EViews Gareth

Postby EViews Gareth » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:16 am

I think he wants to force his users to click yes.

Windows won't allow an automatic update even with user admin rights.

jfgeli

Postby jfgeli » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:02 am

Hi, I want to save my colleagues from dealing with the update process. I want them that every time they open or use (in the background) Eviews, their version is the latest available. I have to reasons for that: 1) It is not just a couple of clicks, they also need to have Excel closed (otherwise some additional components won't install properly). Usually, they have many Excel instances opened and they prefer to skip the installation of a new Eviews version. 2) Many processes we run are with Eviews in the background so the user never interacts with its local version of Eviews but rather with an Excel sheet that kicks other Eviews procedures using VBA.

EViews Gareth

Postby EViews Gareth » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:22 am

Yeah, Windows won’t allow EViews to do that.

Return to “Installation and Registration”