EViews 9.0 Type Library does not seem to be working

For questions regarding installation and registration of EViews.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Jason, EViews Steve, EViews Moderator

DBel2012

EViews 9.0 Type Library does not seem to be working

Postby DBel2012 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:31 am

Hello,

EViews 10 has been installed recently, and my Excel VBA program does not seem to be working properly since then. I have the reference EViews 9.0 Type Library.

Dim mgr As New EViews.Manager
Dim app As EViews.Application

I've got an error message (in french) once I get to fopllowing command :
Set app = mgr.GetApplication(ExistingOrNew)

The error message says :
Erreur Automation
Le module spécifié est introuvable (cannot find the specified module)

Any idea what changed between EViews 9 and EViews 10 that can cause that problem?
What other EViews references should I include in VBA?

Thanks!

Danny

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Re: EViews 9.0 Type Library does not seem to be working

Postby EViews Steve » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:47 am

Did you uninstall 9 when you installed 10? Also, is your 10 installation 64-bit while the 9 was 32-bit (or vice-versa)?

If so, you may need to clean your registry of all previous EViews COM settings. Your Office installation is probably 32-bit and the older 32-bit registry settings for EViews COM do not get cleaned up by uninstalling 9 -- and then EViews 10 64-bit doesn't write over 9's settings if it finds it in the registry. You can download the following reg file and run it on your machine to clean your registry of all EViews COM settings (both 32-bit and 64-bit):
https://eviews.com/misc/clean/removeCOM.zip

Once cleaned, run EViews 10 and type in the command REGCOMPONENTS. Click "Yes(All)" to re-register everything and this time EViews 10 64-bit will write both 64-bit and 32-bit registry settings. At this point your VBA project may need to re-reference the appropriate EViews type library (though the 9 Type library should still be there).

One way to tell if your EViews type library reference is available is to go to your VBA window and select Tools/References, then scroll down to reference and select it. Below it, you should see the Location label that tells you where that reference originates from. Verify that the path still exists on your machine.
example.png
example.png (13.9 KiB) Viewed 16631 times

Also, our latest COM whitepaper describes EViews version issues on page 9 starting with the sub-heading "Choosing an EViews Version". Reading this may be helpful.

As for EViews 10, it comes with it's own "EViews 10 Type Library", which adds three new methods IsVisible, GetInstanceData, and SetInstanceData to the Application object interface.

Return to “Installation and Registration”