NetBook

For requesting general information about EViews, sharing your own tips and tricks, and information on EViews training or guides.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

cgreene

NetBook

Postby cgreene » Mon May 24, 2010 1:15 pm

Anyone have experience with using Eviews on a Netbook? Wondering if this would be workable for travel.
Usable, usable but painfully slow, or clearly impractical?
My workfiles are generally well under 0.5MB, and I would not be trying to run long programs.

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: NetBook

Postby EViews Gareth » Mon May 24, 2010 1:20 pm

I use one quite regularly, and it works fine. EViews windows tend to be smallish, so fit on the netbook screen fine, and 90% of what EViews does is not particularly taxing on the processor or memory when you're working the average data set.

A netbook today probably has as much computing power as a desktop 5 years ago, and people were using EViews quite happily on those desktops.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

terrya

Postby terrya » Mon May 24, 2010 1:32 pm

EViews Gareth wrote:I use one quite regularly, and it works fine. EViews windows tend to be smallish, so fit on the netbook screen fine, and 90% of what EViews does is not particularly taxing on the processor or memory when you're working the average data set.

A netbook today probably has as much computing power as a desktop 5 years ago, and people were using EViews quite happily on those desktops.

I've thought about getting a netbook. How do you get Eviews on it without having a cd reader? Help on this would be great.

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Postby EViews Gareth » Mon May 24, 2010 1:36 pm

That's a good point. With all installations (not just EViews), I just use my desktop to copy the CD onto a thumbdrive, then install it from the thumbdrive. Works fine.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

terrya

Postby terrya » Mon May 24, 2010 1:54 pm

EViews Gareth wrote:That's a good point. With all installations (not just EViews), I just use my desktop to copy the CD onto a thumbdrive, then install it from the thumbdrive. Works fine.

Thanks - that's great to know

Return to “General Information and Tips and Tricks”