Please help! I need to know which p-value to use to reject or accept the null hypothesis in my project.

For econometric discussions not necessarily related to EViews.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

TheLadyDothReadTooMu

Please help! I need to know which p-value to use to reject or accept the null hypothesis in my project.

Postby TheLadyDothReadTooMu » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:01 am

There are two probability values EViews generates: the one for the independent variables regressed (written as Prob. next to the t-statistics column) and the one to determine the overall significance of the model (Prob(F-statistics) written below the table). To reject or accept the null hypothesis of my project, which one of those p-values do I compare with the level of significance? Note that I have only one independent variable.

startz
Non-normality and collinearity are NOT problems!

Re: Please help! I need to know which p-value to use to reject or accept the null hypothesis in my project.

Postby startz » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:24 am

If you only have one independent variable, are the values different?

TheLadyDothReadTooMu

Re: Please help! I need to know which p-value to use to reject or accept the null hypothesis in my project.

Postby TheLadyDothReadTooMu » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:02 pm

Yes, they are. I got 0.2712 for the Prob. of the t-statistic for the independent variable but the Prob(F-statistic) was 0.00001. I don't know which one to use.

startz

Postby startz » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:56 pm

You've done something unusual, though not necessarily wrong. You'll need to post more details.

startz

Postby startz » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:04 pm

Perhaps a screenshot. Maybe the work file including the equation you estimated

TheLadyDothReadTooMu

Postby TheLadyDothReadTooMu » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:44 pm

Not to sound really stupid but how do I upload pictures here?

startz

Postby startz » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:51 pm

Click on the Attachments tab below the reply field.

TheLadyDothReadTooMu

Postby TheLadyDothReadTooMu » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:30 pm

Alright. Thank you.

This is all I have of the results as I didn't run it myself. I used Panel Least Square for the regression analysis.
Attachments
IMG_7652.PNG
IMG_7652.PNG (306.98 KiB) Viewed 11714 times

startz

Postby startz » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:39 pm

It is hard to see what's going in here. I suspect that fixed effects were included, in which case you want the p-value next to the t-statistic.

TheLadyDothReadTooMu

Postby TheLadyDothReadTooMu » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:51 pm

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean by any of that. Isn't the p-value already next to the t-statistic?

startz

Postby startz » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:17 pm

Probably should use the p-value next to the t statistic as opposed to the one near the F

TheLadyDothReadTooMu

Postby TheLadyDothReadTooMu » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:59 am

I thought so too but my supervisor says otherwise. I thought the Prob(F-statistic) was only to test the overall significance of the model or the goodness of fit (as I've read in some journals) but my supervisor doesn't think so. If I had more than one independent variable, what p-value should I use? And what did you mean by fixed effects?

startz

Postby startz » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:08 am

The t test tests whether a given coefficient equals zero. The F test tests whether all the coefficients except the constant equals zero. So if there is only one coefficient the p-values should be identical. The output you have must have something unusual behind it, but there's no way to know what it is without knowing exactly how it was created.

TheLadyDothReadTooMu

Postby TheLadyDothReadTooMu » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:28 pm

Thank you so much for explaining this!

Return to “Econometric Discussions”