Excel file drag and drop in Eviews 7

For notifying us of what you believe are bugs or errors in EViews.
Please ensure your copy of EViews is up-to-date before posting.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

orelius

Excel file drag and drop in Eviews 7

Postby orelius » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:34 am

Hi,

Here's the issue. I want to create an Eviews workfile (page) using an existing excel file the lazy way, ie without first creating a new file (file-new etc)
When I drag and drop the attached excel file in the appropriate area (just open the program, and drag the excel file in the workfile page area (a '+' appears)) in my Eviews 7 (dec 8 build) the program crashes. When I import the file using "file open- foreign data as workfile-" the program crashes also. Opening excel, selecting everything and cut and paste works. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, maybe it is due to the peculiar excel file (irregular dated) or maybe a bug?

great new version by the way.
Attachments
Data2_rev_TS 12_13_09.xls
(37.5 KiB) Downloaded 403 times

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: Excel file drag and drop in Eviews 7

Postby EViews Gareth » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:50 am

Definitely a bug. Will get our Excel import guys to take a look. Thanks for letting us know, and sending the file.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Postby EViews Gareth » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:59 am

Out of interest, could you tell us where that Excel file came from? It isn't a standard Excel file...
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

EViews Chris
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Chris » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:41 am

What's going on is that your Excel file does not conform to the Excel file specification and Excel is dealing with this more defensively than we are.

Note that if you load the file into Excel and resave it immediately, then the new file saved by Excel does read into EViews (because Excel fixes up the error).

What is causing the problem is that there is a DIMENSIONS record in each worksheet of an Excel file which describes the range of cells that occur in the worksheet. Your DIMENSIONS record says that your worksheet only has data in the first nine columns, while in fact it has data in the first thirteen columns. Our code presumes that we can trust the DIMENSIONS record, while Excel must ignore it in some way if it is inconsistent with the contents of the file.

orelius

Postby orelius » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:00 am

As far as I know, the excel file is taken from the website of one of the major central banks, and subsequently enlarged by my co-author.
And I can confirm that opening the file in excel and immedeately saving it, indeed solves the problem. That is, I can drag and drop it into Eviews.
Thanks for the rapid response.

Return to “Bug Reports”