Window position bug

For notifying us of what you believe are bugs or errors in EViews.
Please ensure your copy of EViews is up-to-date before posting.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

startz
Non-normality and collinearity are NOT problems!

Window position bug

Postby startz » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:01 pm

Take a look at the picture. I opened a new group window. Here's a picture of where EViews opened it. I haven't moved anything. A window shouldn't open with the title bar hidden under the command window.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (84.33 KiB) Viewed 6834 times

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Re: Window position bug

Postby EViews Steve » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:47 pm

Is your command pane set to Autohide? Since your screenshot doesn't show the right pin icon of the command pane I can't tell. If so that's why the group window could appear there.

If not, is the window issue reproducible?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Steve » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:50 pm

Actually now that I've taken a closer look at your command pane, it looks like it's in Float mode. Meaning you've undocked the pane and instead told the window to hover at that spot. If you grab the main EViews frame window and move it, the command window will stay put. You'll have to dock the command window or move it outside of EViews to prevent this overlap problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

startz

Postby startz » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:16 am

The fact that there's a solution doesn't explain why EViews chooses to initially display the window in a bad position.

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Steve » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:33 am

When a window is floating, that means it's outside of the EViews frame window. And when it's outside, EViews doesn't consider it when it decides on placement of any child windows inside the main frame window, even if that window is floating on top of EViews. Also, our floating windows always appear on top of the main frame window, even if you click back into the frame area and move it around.

So technically, you could cover the entire main frame window with a floating command pane. In that case, it doesn't matter where a new child window appears since it'll never be viewable until the command pane is moved away or sized smaller.

Maybe we should consider letting you click in main frame window to bring it up above any floating panes? But then you could potentially lose sight of the command pane altogether as it drops behind.

Is there a reason why you don't have the command pane docked to the frame? When docked, it's inside the frame window and new child windows will appear away from it. Click the Window menu/Reset Window Layout to reset your windows to this default layout.

startz

Postby startz » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:01 am

Let me remind you that

1. Good design prevents user "error."
2. There is a longstanding design goal in EViews to make sure that the design prevents my errors, taking me as the lower bound on users. (Ask G or G.)

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Steve » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:19 am

Hah, thanks for the reminder.

Honestly, if there's a solution you can think of that will work in all situations, I'd be happy to consider it -- and I realize that this "error" is exacerbated by the fact that we never had floating panes before. Right now, I can't think of one solution that wouldn't be just be for this particular situation. Like, if a floating pane is covering the frame window, but only a portion of it (say 50% overall? or just top 50%? right 30%?), then position new windows to appear in the uncovered portions of the frame (as long as there's enough room?), etc.

I wonder if we can make floating panes semi-transparent, at least the portion that is covering the main frame window. That could look weird though...

Or maybe we should just optionally make the floating panes act like normal windows so they can be hidden by the main frame. This would force users to keep them outside the frame window area.

startz

Postby startz » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:29 am

I can think of three partial fixes.

(1) A new window should always come out on top, even over floating windows. (Don't know if that's possible.) I guess that might in some cases just give the same problem with the floating window.

(2) Kludge things so that EViews tries real hard to have the title bar visible in a new window.

(3) Add a command to the Window menu that does "bring to front" and offers a drop-down of existing menus.

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Postby EViews Gareth » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:07 pm

Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

Return to “Bug Reports”