Problem Importing Data From Stata 13

For questions regarding the import, export and manipulation of data in EViews, including graphing and basic statistics.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Jason, EViews Steve, EViews Moderator

ajs76

Problem Importing Data From Stata 13

Postby ajs76 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:47 pm

I am working on a project that requires me to import data from Stata 13 into an Excel spreadsheet, and then from an Excel spreadsheet into EViews. Prior to today, my data set contained values through 2015Q4, and I was hoping to update this data set through 2016Q3. I ran a Stata program that allowed me to transfer values to my Excel spreadsheet, but when I attempted to import this spreadsheet into EViews using a basic import command (import {%xls} range="Tab1" namepos=first), I was thrown an error message indicating that the size of the spreadsheet was not what was expected. Specifically, it shouted about a particular "AppData" folder in one of my local drives that didn't seem to exist after the fact.

Has anyone else had problems importing data from Stata 13 into EViews? If so, have you found any easy solutions? Alternatively, if anyone can make sense of the error that is being thrown, I would appreciate any advice you can give me!

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: Problem Importing Data From Stata 13

Postby EViews Gareth » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:49 pm

Doesn't answer your specific question, but is there any reason why you cannot read directly from the Stata file into EViews?
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

startz
Non-normality and collinearity are NOT problems!

Postby startz » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:53 pm

Importing into EViews would be best, but if that doesn't work try saving the Excel file under a new name. Lot's of programs don't quite get the internal Excel layout right and EViews gets upset. Resaving often fixes this.

EViews Jason
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Jason » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:30 am

The Appdata complaint may due to a non-existent temporary file directory. EViews needs a writeable directory to store temporary files. If you select Options->General Options and then choose File locations, make sure the directory listed in the Temp File Path box exists.

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Steve » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:34 am

You might also try this trick -- leave the Excel file open in Excel while you run the IMPORT command in EViews. This will keep the file locked and force EViews to read the data from the running instance of Excel instead of trying to read the data from the file directly.

Return to “Data Manipulation”