Accessing Datastream

For questions regarding the import, export and manipulation of data in EViews, including graphing and basic statistics.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Jason, EViews Steve, EViews Moderator

please_work

Accessing Datastream

Postby please_work » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:20 am

Hello,

I am trying to create a working connection to Datastream.

I was able to register the database, but when I open it (get message at bottom that username/password are validated) and try to run a test query (Query-Select), I get the following error message "Database Error: unable to load Datastream Series Picker library."

When I select View -> Query -> and any of the three options there appears to be no data living behind any of the choices.

Do you have any suggestions? I am running EViews 8 (64-bit).

Thanks

EViews Jason
EViews Developer

Re: Accessing Datastream

Postby EViews Jason » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:12 am

You will need to contact Thomson Reuters and have them send you the DSSeriesPicker installer.

please_work

Postby please_work » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:29 am

I was able to get the DSSeriesPicker downloaded, and did get a message saying it was successfully registered, but am still getting a "Database Error: unable to Datastream Series Picker library."

Any suggestions?

EViews Jason
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Jason » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:38 pm

My apologies, I did not read your post carefully. Thomson does not a have 64 bit compatible version of Series Picker library.

My suggestion would be to install the 32 bit version of EViews 8 and then use the 32 bit version when attempting to use the Datastream interface. You can still fetch data using EViews 8 64 bit but only via the 'fetch' command. In other words, anytime you want to use the 'Query-Select' or 'Query-AppendSelect' button in the Datastream database window, you have to use EViews 8 32 bit.

I should note, both EViews 8 32 and 64 bit can coexist on the same machine and will not cause any conflicts. You therefore do not need to uninstall EViews 8 64 bit version.

please_work

Postby please_work » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:53 am

Got it - glad to hear I can make it work - thanks for the help!

dagfinnrime

Postby dagfinnrime » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:50 am

Since I have been struggling with this I post my successful attempt here:

0. You can find the zip-file here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2n4Rkc61L-TcHhBUkFxVmN4Z3M/view?usp=sharing (I was struggling finding it at Thomson Reuters)
1. Unzip the file to the Datastream folder (In my case: C:\Program Files (x86)\datastream\datastream advance)
3. Open the cmd.exe using Admin-rights. In Windows, enter cmd.exe in "Start-menu | Search"; Right-click on cmd.exe (among alternatives for your search) and choose "Run as administrator"
4. Go to the Datastream folder. I wrote

Code: Select all

cd C:\Program Files (x86)\datastream\datastream advance

5. Run reg-server:

Code: Select all

REGSVR32 DSSeriesPicker.dll

The zip-file came with a REGISTER.bat-file. Running that didn't work for me even when I choose "Run as admin". I was guided by the following post at StackExchange: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5413585/windows-7-unable-to-register-dll-error-code0x80004005

Hope this is useful.
Dagfinn

Return to “Data Manipulation”