Factor Augmented VAR Analysis

For questions regarding programming in the EViews programming language.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Jason, EViews Moderator, EViews Matt

tcfoon

Factor Augmented VAR Analysis

Postby tcfoon » Sun May 31, 2009 5:19 pm

Dear Eviews programming experts,

Recently, a relatively new econometrics methodology that is Factor Augmented VAR analysis (FAVAR) has been developed and also extensively used in the empirical studies to produce a valuable information to the policymakers. I do aware of the fact that the programming code is available for MATLAB, while I am not the MATLAB user. Therefore, I hope anyone write or share their Eviews programming codes for the FAVAR analysis if available. So far, what I understand the FAVAR analysis is that there are two step:

1. We employ the Principle component analysis to compress the explanatory variables into one factor (F), then

2. We run the VAR with the variable of interest (Y) and the factor (F).

From FAVAR framework, we can also compute the impulse response function for each variables.

I hope to get your response soon.

Thank you,

Regards,
CF Tang

donihue

Re: Factor Augmented VAR Analysis

Postby donihue » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:17 am

tcfoon wrote:Recently, a relatively new econometrics methodology that is Factor Augmented VAR analysis (FAVAR) has been developed and also extensively used in the empirical studies to produce a valuable information to the policymakers. ...
Regards,
CF Tang

I fully agree with Mr. Tang that FAVAR is an important tool for analysis by the policy-maker. As mentioned in another post on DSGE modelling, it is a shame that EViews is "behind the curve" on these techniques, so that researchers are obliged to use Matlab or RATS instead.

Regards
Donihue

EViews Glenn
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Glenn » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:17 pm

Which MATLAB FAVAR program do people use?

donihue

Postby donihue » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:07 am

QMS Glenn wrote:Which MATLAB FAVAR program do people use?

You will find a suite of Matlab files to replicate the famous Bernanke et al QJE 2005 paper at Jean Boivin's site: http://neumann.hec.ca/pages/jean.boivin/

There is also a suite of Gauss files to replicate the Stock-Watson 2005 paper on FAVARs at Mark Watson's site: http://www.princeton.edu/~mwatson/wp.html

Regards
Donihue

EViews Glenn
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Glenn » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:50 pm

Thanks. I knew of the Stock and Watson code, but didn't know which MATLAB code people were using. At some point I'm going to try to cobble something together which uses the new EViews 7 COM interface to run MATLAB so that if you have the latter, you can use EViews to perform the estimation without leaving EViews.

donihue

Postby donihue » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:22 am

QMS Glenn wrote: At some point I'm going to try to cobble something together which uses the new EViews 7 COM interface to run MATLAB so that if you have the latter, you can use EViews to perform the estimation without leaving EViews.

Thanks. That would be a help, although it still leaves those of us who teach these things to central bankers and other policy-makers without a direct EViews option, which is what THEY want...
Regards
Donihue

EViews Glenn
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Glenn » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:58 am

Reasonable comment. It is on our short list of things to look at going forward.

nicktz

Postby nicktz » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:11 am

Any update on the above promised efforts to have a FAVAR analysis enabled platform in Eviews??

EViews Glenn
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Glenn » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:27 am

Unfortunately, none. There have been projects which have been deemed to be higher priority so it hasn't yet happened. Sorry.

I'll make a note of your request going forward. Thanks for the suggestion.

dakila

Postby dakila » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:45 am

Please download FAVAR package from EViews Add-In page (http://www.eviews.com/Addins/addins.shtml)

Londoner

Postby Londoner » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:13 pm

dakila wrote:Please download FAVAR package from EViews Add-In page (http://www.eviews.com/Addins/addins.shtml)

Thanks a lot for this very useful link.

Would it be possible to describe a little bit how works the add-in? Maybe with a simple example? The format of each in put is not clear.

Thank you!

dakila

Postby dakila » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:14 am

There is example file (favar_ex.prg) in the FAVAR add-in folder which replicates figure 2 of Bernanke, Boivin and Eliatsz (2005).

dakila

Postby dakila » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:36 pm

Please download Bayesian FAVAR package from EViews Add-In page (http://www.eviews.com/Addins/addins.shtml)

martinit

Postby martinit » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:21 am

Dear eViews users,

is there a way to transform graph object to spreadsheet? I am asking in this thread because FAVAR add-in provides me with graphed IRFs but it is more convinient for robustness checks to have the IRF in a spreadsheet allowing to work with the results a bit more.

Thank you
Martin

dakila

Postby dakila » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:10 am

No

Return to “Programming”