Eviews 9 Help - Quick Help Reference

For notifying us of what you believe are bugs or errors in EViews.
Please ensure your copy of EViews is up-to-date before posting.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

robmorea

Eviews 9 Help - Quick Help Reference

Postby robmorea » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:59 am

Hello, we've just installed Eviews 9 (64-bit version), included June 8th patch, and the Quick Help Reference is not working from the GUI.
Clicking on Help menu and selecting Quick Help Reference we don't get any window (I think Eviews should open the Microsoft HTML guide window).
This issue occurs on more than one workstation, we all run Eviews 64-bit on Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit.

Thanks a lot,
Roberto

EViews Glenn
EViews Developer

Re: Eviews 9 Help - Quick Help Reference

Postby EViews Glenn » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:50 am

Is the help system installed locally?

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Steve » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:59 pm

When you say the Quick Help Reference is "not working", what exactly do you mean? Does the help window appear but not display any content. Does nothing happen?

Please verify the existence of the help file in your "EViews 9" folder. The name of the help file is: EViews9Help.chm If this file is missing, please re-install EViews.

If you are running EViews from a network share, you will need to register the help file in your registry before the contents can be read (this is a Microsoft security precaution). EViews normally detects that you're running from a network share the first time you try to open Help and offers to register your help file for you, but if this is failing you can do it manually by opening a DOS prompt and running the EViews executable with the parameter: /helpregister

Code: Select all

EViews9_x64.exe /helpregister

If you are running EViews locally (from your C drive), try double-clicking the EViews9Help.chm file directly to see if it appears normally. If it does, EViews should be able to launch it the same way. If it doesn't, maybe there's a problem with the Windows Help system on your machine?

Steve

robmorea

Postby robmorea » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:37 am

First of all thank you very much for the hints.

Actually if I click on Help/Quick help Reference the help window doesn't appear, nothing happens.
I run Eviews locally from my C drive.
The help file EViews9Help.chm is correctly installed in the Eviews 9 folder and appears normally if I double-click it.

We have the same problem on another desktop with the same configuration.

I didn't try to re-install Eviews yet.

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Steve » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:41 am

Are you using EViews 9 32-bit or 64-bit?

If you're using 32-bit, but your Windows OS supports 64-bit, make sure you update to the latest patch. There was a fix recently related to getting help to work better in that scenario.

Steve

Return to “Bug Reports”