Statconn basic server test fails to connect with R 3.0

For requesting general information about EViews, sharing your own tips and tricks, and information on EViews training or guides.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

bigmonty

Statconn basic server test fails to connect with R 3.0

Postby bigmonty » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:27 am

It worked fine previously but with the latest version of R,statconn basic server test is failing. Folllowing message appears:

Code: Select all

Loading StatConnector Server... Done
Initializing R...Function call failed
  Code: -2147221485
  Text: installation problem: unable to load connector
Releasing StatConnector Server...Done

Is statconn incompatible with latest version of R?

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: Statconn basic server test fails to connect with R 3.0

Postby EViews Gareth » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:43 am

You are probably better off contacting the statconn people and asking them. I find it is always best to download and use RAndFriends from them - that way you know everything is compatible.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

terrya

Postby terrya » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:54 pm

RandFriends is no longer available due to a change in CRAN.

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Postby EViews Gareth » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:30 pm

Ouch.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

bigmonty

Postby bigmonty » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:52 pm

Anybody here were able to pass instructions from Eviews 7 to R 3.0?

smr01

Postby smr01 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:48 am

You might want to read this:

http://rcom.univie.ac.at/download.html

Tom Simpson

Postby Tom Simpson » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:52 am

Sorry to bump a semi-old topic...

anybody had any luck getting the Eviews -> R link to work since RandFriends was removed? I tried doing the install process described here http://homepage.univie.ac.at/erich.neuw ... to_install but it's clearly been a while since it was updated as it references 3.0.2... even changing around some things in their suggested .inf file (to match the 3.1.0 installation) didn't help.

this could be a real problem as i was kinda dependent on the eviews->r functionality on my old computer, now im reinstalling things etc on new laptop and its not working. help appreciated! :D

EDIT: using eviews 8

Tom Simpson

Postby Tom Simpson » Sun May 04, 2014 5:37 pm

bump, please help

if no one can help, does anyone know how to take wishart draws in eviews? doesn't seem possible from what i can see :(

EViews Glenn
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Glenn » Wed May 07, 2014 1:31 pm

It looks as though one could use the existing EViews tools to do this. Give us a bit to take a look.

Tom Simpson

Postby Tom Simpson » Thu May 08, 2014 1:02 am

Excellent thanks a lot, i'd be very grateful. It looks like it's built in to the BVAR functionality somehow but i couldn't work out how to just pull out a random draw. thanks a lot for this, it's REALLY appreciated.

EViews Esther
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Esther » Fri May 09, 2014 8:43 am

Code: Select all

wfcreate u 1 100

'obtain 2-by-2 random draws from the Wishart distribution
sym(2) h
h.fill 1, 0.5, 2
scalar n = 10

!mc = 10
for !i=1 to !mc
   sym(2) s_{!i}
   call wish(s_{!i},h,n)
next
'will create 10 random draws (!mc=10) from the Wishart distribution

'command: wish(S, h, n) -- generates multivariate Wishart random variables
'Inputs: h --- m-by-m scale matrix
'         n --- scalar degree of freedom
'Outputs: S = m-by-m symmetric matrix draw from the Wishart distribution
'Note: used Bartlett decomposition
subroutine local wish(sym S, sym h, scalar n)
   !p = @rows(h)
   matrix T = @zeros(!p,!p)
   for !i=1 to !p
      for !j=1 to !i
         if !i = !j then
            !ntemp = @mrnd(1,1)
            !chirnd = @qchisq(!ntemp,n-!i+1)
            T(!i,!j) = @sqrt(!chirnd)
         else
            !normrnd = @mnrnd(1,1)
            T(!i,!j) = !normrnd
         endif
      next
   next
   matrix A = T*@transpose(T)
   matrix Y = @cholesky(h)
   S = @transpose(Y)*A*Y
endsub
Attachments
bartlett decomposition.PNG
bartlett decomposition.PNG (16.25 KiB) Viewed 17174 times

Tom Simpson

Postby Tom Simpson » Fri May 09, 2014 1:48 pm

awesome, got it. you're a star :D :D :D

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Steve » Wed May 14, 2014 8:32 am

Tom Simpson wrote:Sorry to bump a semi-old topic...

anybody had any luck getting the Eviews -> R link to work since RandFriends was removed? I tried doing the install process described here http://homepage.univie.ac.at/erich.neuw ... to_install but it's clearly been a while since it was updated as it references 3.0.2... even changing around some things in their suggested .inf file (to match the 3.1.0 installation) didn't help.

this could be a real problem as i was kinda dependent on the eviews->r functionality on my old computer, now im reinstalling things etc on new laptop and its not working. help appreciated! :D

Hi Tom, sorry for the late reply...

I just downloaded the latest version of statconnDCOM (statconnDCOM3.6-0B1_Noncommercial.exe) and the latest version of R (R-3.1.0-win.exe), installed both on my Windows 8.1 machine, then started up EViews 8 32-bit and everything seemed to work just fine.

Here are some things to watch out for when trying to use R from EViews:
1. Currently, the statconnDCOM is only free to use with the 32-bit version of R (you have to pay for the 64-bit version). So unless you've already purchased this, I would stick with using 32-bit EViews and 32-bit R.
2. When you install R, make sure you have the 32-bit version. Also, during installation, R asks if you want to save the path and version information into the registry. You must select this option (by default it is). After installing, make sure R 32-bit runs without any problems.
3. Re-start R 32-bit with admin privileges (right click the R shortcut and click on "Run as administrator"). Now install the rscproxy package manually. Look at page 166 (actual page 173) of our "EViews 8 Command Ref.pdf" document (should've been installed with your copy of EViews 8 ) and look for the section that says "Installing rscproxy and statconnDCOM" for more detailed instructions on how to do this.
4. Install statconnDCOM. Make sure the "Local Server Files" and the "Simple Server Test Files" options are selected during the install.
5. Now quit any running instance of R and EViews. Run the "Server 01 - Basis Test" program and click the R32 button to see if runs ok.
6. Assuming the test ran ok, you should now be able to run EViews, then type in XOPEN(r) to open a connection to R.

Steve

terrya

Postby terrya » Wed May 14, 2014 11:42 pm

EViews Steve wrote:
Tom Simpson wrote:Sorry to bump a semi-old topic...

Hi Tom, sorry for the late reply...

I just downloaded the latest version of statconnDCOM (statconnDCOM3.6-0B1_Noncommercial.exe) and the latest version of R (R-3.1.0-win.exe), installed both on my Windows 8.1 machine, then started up EViews 8 32-bit and everything seemed to work just fine.

Here are some things to watch out for when trying to use R from EViews:
1. Currently, the statconnDCOM is only free to use with the 32-bit version of R (you have to pay for the 64-bit version). So unless you've already purchased this, I would stick with using 32-bit EViews and 32-bit R.
2. When you install R, make sure you have the 32-bit version. Also, during installation, R asks if you want to save the path and version information into the registry. You must select this option (by default it is). After installing, make sure R 32-bit runs without any problems.
3. Re-start R 32-bit with admin privileges (right click the R shortcut and click on "Run as administrator"). Now install the rscproxy package manually. Look at page 166 (actual page 173) of our "EViews 8 Command Ref.pdf" document (should've been installed with your copy of EViews 8 ) and look for the section that says "Installing rscproxy and statconnDCOM" for more detailed instructions on how to do this.
4. Install statconnDCOM. Make sure the "Local Server Files" and the "Simple Server Test Files" options are selected during the install.
5. Now quit any running instance of R and EViews. Run the "Server 01 - Basis Test" program and click the R32 button to see if runs ok.
6. Assuming the test ran ok, you should now be able to run EViews, then type in XOPEN(r) to open a connection to R.

Steve

Hi

I followed this outline line by line and found that the Server 01 - Basic test failed. The message was something about object (which?) not found. Any ideas?

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Steve » Thu May 15, 2014 7:33 am

Sorry no. What was the exact error message? Also, did you try the XOPEN command in EViews? Maybe that would provide a better error message.

Return to “General Information and Tips and Tricks”