Trickng EViews into somehow plotting more series per graph?

For requesting general information about EViews, sharing your own tips and tricks, and information on EViews training or guides.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

CharlieEVIEWS

Trickng EViews into somehow plotting more series per graph?

Postby CharlieEVIEWS » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:07 pm

Dear All,

From the forum it seems that the legend can display a maximum of up to 128 series and the graph itself can hold up to 300 lines. However, as a result of an intensive forecasting program I've written, I am looking to plot much more than this per single graph object. Is there any way I can persuade EViews into doing this, or would I require access to some underlying elements of the software which I don't have access to?

Very best wishes as always,

Charlie

EViews Glenn
EViews Developer

Re: Trickng EViews into somehow plotting more series per gra

Postby EViews Glenn » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:52 am

I can't think of a way.

CharlieEVIEWS

Postby CharlieEVIEWS » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:23 pm

Ah, such a shame. My .prgs's automatically plot a range of different graphs for the same paper and I was hoping not to have to use a separate software to create some of the figures as it appears slightly inconsistent.

Can I request this be developed for EViews 9?

EViews Glenn
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Glenn » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:58 pm

To be honest, I can't say that this would be high on our list due to backward-compatibility issues. Given the large number of lines in the plot, I am wondering about the nature of your application; our view has always been that legibility alone would keep people from wanting more than our current number of lines.

CharlieEVIEWS

Postby CharlieEVIEWS » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:46 am

Glen,

I appreciate that it may not be high on the list. While I share your scepticism that it may not always be necessary to include >300 lines per graph, I certainly think that there exist some circumstances where it may be appropriate. For example, I am recursively plotting a large number of forecasts from a number of similar specifications, and wanted to show the range ("width") at each period, and this is one way to do it (easier than calculating the min/max at every period, and plotting a series from that). Regardless, I also want to show the density of the forecast in certain regions through the 'thickness' at various points in the graph. Another user on the forum posting on this issue was doing stochastic simulations of a yield curve and I assume he wanted to display the entire range/density of his procedure also.

Best wishes,

Charlie

EViews Glenn
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Glenn » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:51 pm

Fair enough. I was interested in your application and I appreciate your taking the time to outline it. As I said, it's not as trivial a change as one might think, and that will have to be kept in mind in considering whether to add it. If it were easy, we'd obviously do it. But we'll put it on the list. We do appreciate the input.

Return to “General Information and Tips and Tricks”